Pleasant Point (Mountain)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.57063°N / 117.81305°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9690 ft / 2954 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

High Sierra from Inyo crest at sunriseHigh Sierra at sunrise from Inyo crest
Pleasant Point (alias Pleasant Mountain) is the northern most of a group of peaks accessed from the Cerro Gordo Mine area towards the south end of the Inyo Mountains. Cerro Gordo, also known as "Fat Hill", was a very successful silver mine with a colorful history. The old town site rests at 8,200' near the crest of the Inyos with the remains of the 19th century mining operation still in evidence a few hundred feet up the slope.
Fortunately for peak baggers the road which climbs almost 5,000' from the Owens Lake to Cerro Gordo makes this moderate day hike a pleasurable jaunt along the top on the range with outstanding views on all sides.
To the west, above Owens Valley is the monumental eastern scarp of the High Sierra stretching the length of the horizon. To the north the higher Inyo peaks stand out along the spine of the range. The eastern view takes in Saline Valley and the northern ranges of Death Valley National Park. To the southeast the Panamint Range is topped by Telescope Peak and southwest lies the vast expanse of the Owens Lake area with massive Olancha Peak dominant on the edge of the Southern Sierra.

Getting There

Saline Valley from Inyo crest at sunriseSaline Valley, Last Chance and Cottonwood Mtns., east from Inyo crest
From the junction with Hwy. 395 2 miles south of Lone Pine take Hwy. 136 12.6 miles southeast to Keeler. Just past Keeler a signed dirt road goes east and climbs 7.5 miles to the Cerro Gordo town site. The road gets steep but is well graded and should be passable to most 2 wheel drive vehicles. Just past the town is a saddle at 8,200'.
Park at the saddle and walk north up the road that goes to the left around the western side of the crest 1.5 to another saddle where the road continues winding south up to radio facilities. Leave the road here and hike north along the crest .75 miles to the south summit, drop down a bit on a rugged use trail and traverse along the west side of the south summit .4 miles and up to the main summit. Judging from the register some people have been fooled by the south peak since the main summit is hidden from view at that point, me included the first time I hiked it.

Red Tape

Road to Cerro GordoCerro Gordo Road
This is Bureau of Land Management territory and requires no permits but the Cerro Gordo area is largely private property and has a few residents. Please heed all no trespassing signs.

Camping

Owens Lake and Olancha Peak from Inyo crestOwens Lake and Olancha Peak from Inyo crest
You are pretty much on your own out in these parts folks! This is 'The Land of Little Rain'. But there are endless places to pull off the road and camp. I van camped at the saddle beyond the town site last time I did the hike and was up for a beautiful pre-dawn start.
The nearest campgrounds I could find were Tuttle Creek Campground and the Lone Pine Campground in the Alabama Hills west of Lone Pine.
Tuttle Creek Campground: From Hwy. 395 in Lone Pine go west on the Whitney Portal Road 3.2 miles.Turn south and go 1.7 south on Horseshoe Meadows Road. Turn right (west) and go .9 miles to the Tuttle Creek Campground area.
Lone Pine Campground: Go 6.5 miles west on the Whitney Portal road from 395 in Lone Pine. Take a short left .35 miles then a right .5 miles to the campground.

Current weather conditions

High Sierra pano from Pleasant PointSierra crest pano from Pleasant Point
Pleasant Point eastSaline Valley from Pleasant Point
Current weather for Keeler click here.

Further reading on hiking desert peaks

Desert Summits, by Andy Zdon. This is the book on desert peak bagging for California and Southern Nevada.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 11, 2009 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Pleasant Point

This peak has been called "Pleasant Point" by the DPS for many years, and is probably a more appropriate title for the summit.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pleasant Point

Andy Zdon calls it Pleasant Mtn. and I've seen that a few other places but it's not named on the topo so I'll go with Pleasant Point. Thanks Bob.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 13, 2009 3:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pleasant Point

Sorry, I hadn't seen that Zdon had it named differently. Guess you can go with either! :-)

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 13, 2009 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pleasant Point

I had already put (alias Pleasant Mtn). at the beginning of the overview so I decided to add (Mountain} next to Point. That should cover it.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 30, 2015 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Red Tape update

I hiked up there a couple days ago. The locked gate above town, which is describe in the Zdon book, is now posted with No Trespassing / Private Property signs. There are also sidebars on either side of the gate to deter foot traffic. We did hike the road despite these signs. I think it's on a permission sort of basis. We spoke to the caretaker who lives at the ghost town and told him we were planning on doing Pleasant and Cerro Gordo. He has us sign a "waiver" which was just a notepad log book. He did not give us permission to walk the road toward Pleasant nor did he discourage us from doing so. For those planning a trip, it might be best to check in with him before proceeding.

T. White

T. White - Jan 18, 2018 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Red Tape update

Thanks for the heads-up. The new Cerro Gordo mine website now says the following: "All visitors must check in with our caretaker, sign a liability waiver and pay for admission before exploring the town." (http://cerrogordomines.com/) Edit: I did the hike with permission from the caretaker-on-duty, and parked at the saddle above town. No problems.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
Inyo-White MountainsMountains & Rocks