St Sunday Crag

St Sunday Crag

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.50274°N / 2.97867°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2759 ft / 841 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cofa Pike and St Sunday Crag


Situated in the North East section of the English Lake district, St Sunday Crag (NY 368 137), is the highest point of the ridge between Fairfield and Ullswater between the valleys of Grisedale to the north and Deepdale to the south.

An ascent of the hill gives lovely scenic views down to Ullswater below and across to the Helvellyn Range and particular Striding Edge. Ascent is usually incorporated in a hike including Fairfield via a scramble up/down Cofa Pike from Patterdale.

A highly recommended hiking /scrambling route is a circuit including St Sunday Crag, Fairfield and the Helvellyn Range with the dramatic Striding Edge. Patterdale Round Link

St Sunday Crag also offers one of the lake districts most dramatic and popular scrambles in Pinnacle Ridge Grade III***.

Pinnacle Ridge Link

The best rock climbs are located on the Great Nose which lies in the fork of Y gulley, the most obvious gulley in the centre of the crag.

Getting There

Patterdale Round RouteMap of area including Patterdale Round Route
St Sunday Crag


Patterdale can be approached from Ambleside via Kirkstone pass or from Pooley Bridge via Glenridding.

There is parking in Patterdale at the hotel or alternatively use the Car Park in Glenridding which is about ten minutes walk from the start of the route.

Red Tape

No red tape.

Camping/ Maps/Guidebooks

Pinnacle RidgePinnacle Ridge
Pinnacle RidgeThe crest of Pinnacle Ridge


There are numerous campsites and B&Bs in the northern lakes.

Map:Explorer OL5 The English Lakes North-eastern Area 1:25000

Scrambles in the Lake District RB Evans

FRCC Guide Buttermere and the Eastern Crags

External Links

Lake District Weatherline

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks