"Pyramid Peak" (Mammoth Lakes)

"Pyramid Peak" (Mammoth Lakes)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.57958°N / 118.96065°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11728 ft / 3575 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Peak from Peak 11,390  on the Mammoth CrestPyramid Peak from the Mammoth Crest
"Pyramid Peak", or "Sherwin Peak", (unnamed on topo), is the high point on the ridge northeast of the Mammoth Crest and 1.5 miles north of Duck Pass in the Mammoth Lakes area of the Eastern Sierra. It can be seen from Hwy. 395. The southern peak is slightly higher. From the looks of it there is nothing resembling a pyramid about this peak but that is what it is known as locally. This is a class 1-2 day hike that can be a ridge ramble from Lake Mary or a straight up scramble from the trail to Duck Pass.
The ridge starts out composed of easy compact red metamorphic slate and gradually ascends into granite talus chunks near the summit.
The large notch offers an extreme ski run called "Para-chute" on the east face that is featured in John Moyniers book Back Country Skiing California's High Sierra.
The views of the Mammoth Crest, the Mammoth Lakes area, the Ritter Range and Mammoth Mountain are outstanding.

Getting There

Mammoth Crest from Pyramid Peak northwest ridgeMammoth Crest from Pyramid Peak northwest ridge
From the junction of Hwy. 395 at Mammoth Lakes take Hwy. 203 west into Mammoth Lakes staying to the left as it goes up beyond the town. As the road goes past Twin Lakes take a left at Lake Mary where the road makes a 180 at 7.8 miles from 395. Continue along the northeast shore of Lake Mary to another left at .6 miles. Go .7 miles to roads end at the trailhead parking to Duck Pass.
Northwest ridge: Class 1-2. From the trailhead hike northeast .8 miles up to the crest of the red ridge. Follow the ridge southeast as it ascends to Pyramid Peak at 1.7 miles.
Southwest slope: Class 2. Take the Duck Pass Trail approximately 1.7 miles to the south end of Skelton Lake. Break trail, crossing Mammoth Creek and ascend the southwest slope of Pyramid Peak to the south summit on the right.
"Para-chute": This is the extreme ski/snowboard run from the east side of the notch. A description of the run can be found in John Moyniers book noted above. It normally requires an 8 foot rappel from the notch depending on the snow level that year.

Red Tape

Pyramid Peak from the westPyramid Peak from the west from the Duck Pass Trail.
This is a day hike in Inyo National Forest and no permits are required.

Camping

Point 11,040  from Skelton  LakeSouth towards Duck Pass from Skelton Lake below Pyramid Peak
The nearest campground is the Cold Water Campground at the south end of Lake Mary at 9,000'.
There are numerous campgrounds around the Mammoth Lakes: There are campgrounds on the east side of Lake George at 9,000', the east side of Lake Mamie at 9,000'and the west side of Twin Lakes at 8,600'.

Current weather and 5 day forecast in Mammoth Lakes

For current weather conditions and 5 day forecast in Mammoth Lakes click here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Noondueler

Noondueler - Jan 18, 2010 12:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pyramid Peak

I'll change it to Pyramid Peak even though Notch Peak is a better name. Yeah, now I remember it being called that in Moyniers book.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Hate to be...

the bearer of bad news, but this peak is already up on SP. http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/456238/Pyramid-Peak-Sherwin-Peak-.html Maybe you can talk to Preston about it and combine your pages somehow. Nice Page though!

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hate to be...

Well yes, I see that. Do you know Preston? He hasn't been active on SP for a month or 2. I'm getting climbers logging in etc. so I'm gonna leave it up and send him a pm or an email and see what he wants to do. It would be ashame to have to dump it but whatever!

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Jan 18, 2010 8:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Hate to be...

I know him somewhat just from talking on SP. We were going to climbing at one point but things just didn't work out. Yeah I was looking at that. I don't know where he went. I would defiantly not delete your page for awhile. Just send him a few emails and if he doesn't respond you can probably just tell the elves about it. Once again, you have some amazing photos on the page.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jan 19, 2010 1:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hate to be...

Thanks again Alex. You just posted some fine shots from the San Francisco Peaks.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Hate to be...

No problem! And thank you! I have alot more that you will see come up in the next few days.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mammoth Lakes BasinMountains & Rocks