Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.63367°N / 114.31613°W
Additional Information County: La Paz
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1759 ft / 536 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sugarloaf peak is a nice short hike near quartzsite arizona. It is not worth driving out to in and of itself, but if you are in the area with a couple hours to kill the peak is well worth doing.

Difficulty


Class: 2 or 3 on some loose rock
Distance: less than 2 miles
Gain: approximately 400 feet

Getting There

 
Sugarloaf peak
 
Driving along I-10 you want to get off at exit 11 Dome rock road west of quartzsite. On the south side of the freeway head east along the frontage road and you will see sugarloaf to your right(south).

That is all you really need to know if you want to find the route yourself, but if you want to know more read on.

Route Beta

 
Sugarloaf
 
The easiest way up is on the south side. So what you want to do is drive along the dirt road that heads south along the west side of the mountain.(this road may be impassible to low clearance vehicles. Don't blame me if you get stuck. I walked this section from where I was camped.)As the road winds its way around the south side of the mountain you will see a little gully running up through the cliffs that surround the summit. This is the route you want.

The descent route is the same as the ascent route. 
Sugarloaf
 

 
sugarloaf
 

Camping

To the best of my knowledge camping is legal in the area around sugarloaf. However, if you come from the town of quartzsite on the frontage road you will pass a sign saying something to the affect of pay the campground host. There is a host set up near the town of quartzsite with a pay booth on the side of the road and there are no signs or fences stating where this "campground" ends.

weather

current weather