Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.00370°N / 116.38015°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3420 ft / 1042 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the mountain with the famous Marshal South homestead near its summit. Although the hike to the homestead is popular few people make the further journey to the top of the mountain. This is one of the Sierra Club's 100 San Diego County (SDC) peaks.

The hike to the ruins is only one mile, and the summit in only about another mile further.

Granite Mountain #2 Close upGranite Mountain #2 from the Trail

Getting There

From the North

From the Scissors Crossing on Highway 78, head south six miles and look for the Blair Valley sign and enter the dirt road. It’s another 3.2 miles on the dirt road to the trailhead marked by a stone monument to Yaquitepec.

From the South

From I-8, take exit 87 toward Ocotillo. Take S-2 / Sweeny Pass Road for 41.9 miles. Turn east on the dirt road for 3.2 miles to the trailhead

Red Tape

There are no legal restrictions but summer temps make hiking and camping nearly unbearable.

Camping

The great thing about Anza Borrego State Park is that camping is permitted anywhere. Around Ghost Mountain camping spots are plentiful. The winter is the best time to camp, the spring, fall and summer can be hot. Temps throughout the summer are above 100 degrees for months at a time.

External Links

Ghost Mountain Trip Report

San Diego Examiner Article

Ghost Mountain Hike Info

Ghost Mountain Area Info

Desert USA Article

100 Peaks Trip Report





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.