Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.02410°N / 117.5433°W
Additional Information County: Pershing
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8409 ft / 2563 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cain Mountain is ranked #57 on the Nevada P2k list. It is located in the Augusta mountain range where Churchill, Lander and Pershing counties converge. The route is a road hike to the base and then cross country to the summit.

Getting There

Cain MountainCliff Bands and summit plateau
Cain MountainFenceline road to Cain Mountain
Home Station Gap is a good starting place for both Cain and Moses mountains. To get there take Hwy 305 north about 40 miles out of Austin, or from Interstate 80 take Hwy 305 south from Battle Mountain. Just north of mile marker 72 there is an Antelope Valley sign, turn west on a well graded gravel road and follow for 10 miles to a left bearing curve about 1.5 miles past the Cottonwood Ranch. At the curve take a right on a dirt road that shortly goes through a cattle guard and then curves west, follow for 4.5 miles to Home Station Gap,elev. 5100ft, there is ample parking in a grassy area. I recommend a high clearance vehicle on the 4.5 miles of dirt road, 4wd isnt necessary unless the road is wet or snow covered.

The route starts at a fenceline road heading west for about 3.5 miles into a canyon, from there I climbed a ridge off to my left. Above you see the cliff bands that look intimidating but I traversed along the base to a gap that led to the summit plateau. The route was mostly class I with some class II through the rocky gap around 8000ft.

Red Tape

No red tape that I know of. There are many ranches in the area, but I did not encounter any "No Trespassing signs" on my hikes.

Camping

I car camped at Home Station Gap.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 27, 2010 11:06 pm - Voted 8/10

Not in China

Both Cain Mountain and Mount Moses you got the longitude wrong. You need a -117.54. If you look at the interactive map, it shows Chinese. If you look at distances, both Mount Moses and Cain Mountain are thousands of miles from Wheeler Peak in Nevada. You need to add more details to this page. See pages for other mountains in Nevada, especially remote desert peaks, and try to be a little more detailed.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.