Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.89076°N / 116.56168°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5054 ft / 1540 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is one of the peaks in the Sierra Club's Hundred Peaks Section and also the San Diego County Peak list. It is in the Cuyamaca Mountains of San Diego County. To reach the summit a 2.5 mile hike is required. The views from the summit are excellent of most of southern and eastern San Diego county.

Oakzanita Peak CloudsOakzanita Peak in the Clouds

Getting There

FROM THE NORTH
-Take I-5 south to SR 78 in San Diego County.
-Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just past the -town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
-Go south on SR 79 for 9 miles to the Cuyamaca Dam.
-Continue 2.7 miles to the entrance to Paso Picacho Park on the right.
-Continue 5.6 miles further (mile marker 4) to a gated dirt road on the left -side. Park on the left just before this road.

FROM THE SOUTH
-Take SR 79 north from I-8 via San Diego.

Red Tape

There are no legal restrictions for hiking this peak. In the summer the temps may be in the 90s and in the winter there may be snow.

Camping

There are several good campgrounds in this area.

-The first is Paso Picacho which is about 5.5 miles north on HWY 79.

-The second is Green Valley which is just to the south of the trailhead.

Camping Info

External Links

Oakzanita Peak Trip Report

100 Peaks Trip Report

HPS Page