Mount Dutton (UT)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.02050°N / 112.2165°W
Additional Information County: Garfield
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11061 ft / 3371 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Dutton Peak (UT)Looking toward Mt. Dutton from FS 125

Dutton Peak (UT)View from the summit - west

Dutton Peak (UT)Looking toward Powell Pt to the SE.

Overview

Mount Dutton is one of Utah's top prominence peaks coming in at #30 on the top 100 list with over 3400 feet of prominence (3421'). Although a road goes close to the summit, it is not an easy mountain to get too since you will have to drive over 20 miles of windy dirt road after you leave the pavement of highway 22. I am providing information on this mountain since it is hard to come by elsewhere and as a top prominence peak, it holds appeal for that group of individuals who are interested in visiting them.

The summit rocks contain a benchmark as well as a register although registers are always an iffy thing on a mountain that has fairly easy access. One small communication building and structure was about 100 yards away from the highest point (in the rocky area). From
Dutton's summit, there are great views to the west and to the southeast.
I could see Powell Point and much of the Aquarius Plateau. Views to the northeast were blocked by the forest. It was nice to combine this summit with a visit to Bryce Canyon National park earlier in the day.

Mount Dutton was named in honor of Clarence Dutton, who worked closely with Major John Wesley Powell and wrote a key work, "Geology of the High Plateaus".

Link



Getting There

There are two ways to get to this summit and both will be detailed here.

The northern approach via Antimony: To reach Antimony, leave I-15 and take I-70 until you reach exit 23 and take U.S. 89 south towards Kingston. Near Kingston, take highway 62 east to a junction (about 14 miles) with highway 22 and head south to Antimony. Watch for the road to Mount Dutton that is found near where the road through Antimony starts heading east. There was a good sign indicating Mount Dutton when I was there and the road heads up towards the Jones Corral Guard station. About 12 miles out of Antimony (mileage not exact), there is a junction that goes to the Jones Corral Guard station. Stay left and continue to head up a bit rougher road for another 7-8 miles or so and watch for a road that heads up to the summit of Mount Dutton. This road is found at an elevation of 10720 feet (nad 27
38.0137 -112.2194) When we were there, we were stopped by a large tree across the road but it was no problem to find a spot to park and walk up to the summit from. From Antimony it was roughly 20 miles, on dirt road almost all the way.
Mt. Dutton  (UT)Look for this sign in Antimony

The southern approach from highway 22:
If you were coming from Bryce Canyon National Park, you would take highway 22 at the junction with highway 12. Going south leads to Bryce, going north takes you to the southern approach. It is roughly between 16-18 miles to a turnoff for Cottonwood Creek as you head north with a sign on the left side of the road indicating the road you are looking for (FS road 125). To make things easier, GPS coordinates might aid you to find this road (nad 27 37.9368 112.0021) Turn west and head about 2.3 miles and the Cottonwood Creek road turns north. A fire raged through this area a few years back and they were busy replacing the bridge that had burned up at one place where the road crosses the creek. I found burned timber for miles and was concerned about trees being down across the road but we hit it at a time when it had been cleared and my drive was fine. From the beforementioned turnoff from the highway to the road that leads up to Dutton's summit, it is roughly 20 miles from highway to summit, the same as going via the Antimony approach. The majority of this road is in the Dixie National forest so information obtained from the ranger station might be wise. Otherwise I would recommend the Antimony road approach.

I went up Cottonwood and went down to Antimony so my son and I did both routes.



Dutton Peak (UT)Burned up forest on way in using FS 125

Red Tape

No red tape to deal with. For more information on conditions and roads,

Dixie National Forest
1789 North Wedgewood Lane
Cedar City, UT 84721-7769

(435) 865-3700

Camping

You could probably camp just about anywhere in the Dixie National forest but
Bryce Canyon national park has several campgrounds to choose from and just north of Antimony is Otter Creek State Park which has camping as well.

Jones Corral Guard station campground

Weather


Route

Basically a road walk to the communication structure area and then you'll need to head northwest toward an outcropping of rock which is the highest spot on the mountain. You'll find a benchmark and register in that area and if you don't find a benchmark, you haven't found the right spot. Overall, this is about as easy as it gets unless you come early in the season and have to deal with snow. It is over eleven thousand feet in elevation so plan accordingly.
Map

From Canaan Peak, a long view

Mt Dutton (UT)

Disclaimer

As road conditions can change and hiking or traveling in this type of country can be inherently dangerous, the above information is provided only as a courtesy. You accept all risk and responsibility for your activities in this area and I recommend that you let others know of your plans and where you will be hiking/climbing prior to heading to this area. Be self sufficient and carry plenty of food, water and shelter in the event of a breakdown. Good quality tires are a necessity on the rough and rocky roads you will encounter as is a vehicle in good condition. Having said all that, have a good trip and please let the author of this page know of changes that you encounter.