Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.32803°N / 82.73171°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4286 ft / 1306 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Mountain stands 4,286 feet in elevation just to the east of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Despite being smaller than the surrounding 6,000 foot peaks, Black Mountain offers some great hiking and impressive views of the Appalachian Mountains. From the trail head off of 276, follow the black mountain trail for around 3 miles and climbs a little over 2000 feet in elevation to the summit of Black Mountain. From the summit you can either head back down the way you hiked up or continue following the trail for a much longer hike over several other peaks. If you do continue, you can hike over Clawhammer, Rich, Buckwheat Knob and Coontree mountains where you will be treated to several spectacular views of the Southern Appalachian mountains. If you do make this hike into a loop over all of the following peaks it totals out somewhere around 14-15 miles so plan accordingly. Also, I went down the Coontree trail to get back to 276 which left me with a 1.5 miles walk along the road back to the car. What you might want to do is bushwhack down the east side of the ridge to reach another trail that would take you back closer to your car.
Black Mountain View

Getting There

From US 64 take US 276 heading West for about 1.5 miles. The trail head is located right before the ranger station. There is additional parking across the street around the entrance to the Davidson River Campground.

Red Tape

None.
Black Mountain Trail

Camping

Davidson River Campground is located directly across from the trailhead.
Take US 64 to US 276 and head west for about 1.5 miles. The campground is located on the left side.
$20 a night and open year round.

Campground Number 828-862-5960

External Links