Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93840°N / 123.1655°W
Additional Information County: Grays Harbor
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1760 ft / 536 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fuzzy Top is a mountain summit located in the Black Hills/Capitol Forest of Washington. Unlike most of the peaks in the Black Hills, Fuzzy Top is located in the Grays Harbor County portion of the area rather than in Thurston County. Fuzzy Top has a very unusual name, quite possibly as a reference to the blurry/fuzzy appearance the peak has from a distance due to its thick forest-cover of evergreen trees.
Fuzzy Top

The summit (1760' elevation) of Fuzzy Top is most easily reached via the Fuzzy Top Trail. The trail begins at Road D-1500 and traverses approximately 0.50 miles to the summit. The trail is perfect for amateur hikers, as it is gentle grade, well-maintained, and easy to follow. There are also several small wooden seats/benches found along the trail, with one at the halfway point and at least two at/near the summit, for resting on.
Fuzzy TopFuzzy Top summit area

The mountaintop is completely and densely forested, so there are no outward views from the summit or its namesake trail. There is also a false summit, nearly similar in size and elevation, west of the summit that the Fuzzy Top Trail passes but is also densely forested. One portion of Fuzzy Top that is not densely forested is the steep 70-percent slope on the mountain's north side. The lack of vegetation on that slope is the result of a small two-acre forest fire in 2001 that was caused by fireworks. Fortunately, the fire occurred on the wetter north side rather than the drier south side, or else the devastation would have been much more widespread.
Fuzzy TopFuzzy Top (left) and its false summit (right)

Getting There

FROM OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON:



1) From the intersection with I-5, head west on U.S. Highway 101.
2) Within a couple of miles, take the second exit along Highway 101, the "Black Lake Blvd" exit.
3) Turn left onto Black Lake Blvd (lighted intersection).
4) Drive south along Black Lake Blvd for 4.2 miles, until a stop sign (Delphi Road).
5) Turn left onto Delphi Road and follow for 2.1 miles.
6) Turn right onto Waddell Creek Road.
7) After 2.7 miles, Waddell Creek Road turns left. Do not turn. Continue straight, and the road is Sherman Valley Road.
8) After 1.3 miles, Sherman Valley Road technically ends and the "C-Line" Forest Road of Capitol State Forest begins. There is a "Leaving Public Road System" sign near this location.
9) Drive along the "C-Line" Forest Road for 6.7 miles, until its intersection with Road C-4000.
10) Turn left at the intersection and head south for 1.5 miles until its intersection with Road D-1000.
11) Turn left onto Road D-1000 and follow for 1.1 miles until its intersection with Road D-1500.
12) Turn left onto Road D-1500 and follow for 0.4 miles until reaching the Fuzzy Top Trailhead (left/north side of road). Road D-1500 continues east.
Fuzzy Top TrailFuzzy Top Trailhead

13) There is a small parking area for the trail. If the parking area is full, find a place off the road to safely park a vehicle.

Red Tape

Beginning during 2011, parking areas and trailheads within and for the Capitol State Forest require a Discover Pass to be in each vehicle during the visit. Failure to have a Discover Pass visible within a parked vehicle at these locations can result in a substantial fine. For more information regarding the Discover Pass, please visit the official website.

Camping

No camping is allowed on Fuzzy Top. However, Fall Creek Campground is located only several miles east of the mountain.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.