Kaufman Ridge Highpoint

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85050°N / 105.9428°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee & Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10765 ft / 3281 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South from rocky summitSouth from rocky summit

Similar in form and appearance to neighbor Limestone Ridge, Kaufman Ridge Highpoint features densely-wooded eastern slopes and a striking west-facing bluff that provides a dramatic viewpoint to the mighty Sawatch Mountains to the western horizon. Kaufman Ridge Highpoint is part of a larger Kaufman Ridge Structure which features three highpoints above 10,000 feet / 3,050 meters. (See Nader's Kaufman Ridge North page for more information.)

The summit area offers the best of many worlds: Mind-blowing views all around, especially the Sawatch and the Buffalo Peaks group plus sheltering trees for shade and wind-block. Numerous 14ers are visible from the summit, including Mount Antero, Mount Princeton and Mount Yale. Take your lunch, park yourself on a rock and enjoy the scenery with friends or family from the top of this little gem.

Rank: 1,906th highest mountain in Colorado
Prominence: 1,145 feet
USGS Quad: Castle Rock Gulch

Rank and Prominence Info: Lists of John

Getting There

Kaufman Ridge Highpoint_Getting There


Kaufman Ridge Highpoint is perched on the boundary between Chaffee and Park counties. The nearest major thoroughfare is the combined US Hwy 24 / US Hwy 285 to the north of the mountain. The peak sits about 10 miles as the raven flies due-east of the town of Buena Vista, Colorado.

Red Tape

Buffalo Peaks group from summitBuffalo Peaks group from summit
Buffalo PeaksBuffalo Peaks on the approach

There is plenty of private property to the north of Kaufman Ridge Highpoint, and the access roads into the National Forest pass through a subdivision. Extend the same courtesies to residents that you would want visitors near your home to extend to you.

Otherwise, there are no fees to access this area and few regulations governing your use of this part of the National Forest.

Camping & Lodging

Approaching Kaufman Ridge HighpointApproaching Kaufman Ridge Highpoint
Black Mountain in the distanceBlack Mountain in the distance

Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Campgrounds

The AHRA operates six campgrounds in the Arkansas River valley, two of which are located in reasonable proximity to Kaufman Ridge Highpoint. Be aware that these campgrounds are popular with white water rafters in the warmer months and are used as take-outs / put-ins for boaters.
Summit Cairn, Kaufman Ridge HighpointSummit Cairn, Kaufman Ridge Highpoint
USGS Benchmark below summitUSGS Benchmark below summit

Railroad Bridge Campground

North of Buena Vista on County Road 371
• 14 campsites (each consists of tent pad, fire grill and table)
• Two vault toilets
• Two changing areas

Ruby Mountain Campground

South of Buena Vista on County Road 300 via CR 301
• 22 campsites (each consists of tent pad, fire grill and table)
• Four vault toilets
• Two changing areas

Buena Vista hotels, B&Bs, cabins and commercial campgrounds

A variety of lodging options are available in the nearby town of Buena Vista, skewing toward the simple and affordable. Visit the Colorado Vacation Directory Buena Vista page or the Trip Advisor area guide for more details.

Weather & Seasons

Lela at the summitLela at the summit
Aerial of Limestone RidgeAerial of Limestone Ridge

This moderate elevation peak is a year-round objective.


Find more about Weather in Buena Vista, CO
Click for weather forecast
Fall: Autumn would be a perfect time to visit this peak, when the Aspen are ablaze in bright golds against the blue Colorado sky and the summertime crowds have begun to wane. Be mindful of elk hunters in the area and wear bright colors for safety.

Winter: Kaufman Ridge Highpoint makes a delightful snowshoe outing. Winter brings Forest Service gates closures to the surrounding area (and thus longer walks). For the most part, you should find you have this area all to yourself in the winter. Be mindful of elk hunters in the vicinity and wear bright colors for safety.

Spring: Deep and rotten late-season snow could make Kaufman Ridge Highpoint an arduous outing in the Spring. In fact, the trail-braking can make this trip challenging enough even in winter.

Summer: This lower elevation area east of Buena Vista gets somewhat hot and sun-baked compared to the high country to the west, but this could be a good acclimatization hike for visitors from lower elevations wanting to tackle higher goals later in their visit.
Find more about Weather in Buena Vista, CO
Click for weather forecast




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.