Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.45008°N / 105.03719°W
Additional Information County: Colfax
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9414 ft / 2869 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shaefers Peak is a 9,414ft located on Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in Northern New Mexico. Shaefers Peak is the 16th highest peak on Philmont Scout Ranch. Shaefers Peak lies at the west end of Tooth Ridge, which is home to the more famous Tooth of Time, which is located on the east end of Tooth Ridge. Together, Shaefers Peak, Tooth Ridge and Tooth of Time can be seen throughout most parts of the Philmont Scout Ranch. Most who hike Shaefers simple do the short scramble to the top because they are on their way to the Tooth of Time and those that do pass up the opportunity to summit Shaefers are definitely missing out.
Storm Along Tooth RidgeTooth Ridge just below Shaefers Peak


Baldy MountainNorth View

Shaefers Peak may just have one of the coolest views on the whole ranch. From its summit, you can practically see all of Philmont Scout Ranch-North and South Country. You can also see Little Costilla, Culebra Peak and East and West Spanish Peaks.

Hiking Info

Wood LilyWood Lily along North Fork Urraca
Looking BackHigh Country of Philmont


If your hiking this peak, then you are most likely on a trek at Philmont or staff. Philmont has a varied selection of treks offered with over 30 variations. Many of those will a lead a crew to Tooth Ridge. As said in the first section, Shaefers Peak is located on the west end of Tooth Ridge while Tooth of Time is on the east end. Most crews will either be camped at Shaefers Pass Camp or at Clarks Fork Camp. Some may also have go down the North Fork Urraca from parts higher up in South Country. However, all these will have to converge at Shaefers Pass (around 8800ft). This is located at the west end of Tooth Ridge and is just below Shaefers peak.
The WayShort Trail to the Summit
SummitThe Summit

From here, the trail begins switch backing up the West Face of Shaefers Peak. The trail isn't that good here and there is alot of scree. After alot of uphill, the trail levels out and you have views to the South. Shortly after this there will be a trail sign for Shaefers Peak on the left side. From here, Shaefers Peak is only a few hundred yards up the the steepish trail. It would be dumb to not summit it if your at this point (I did this the first time around). On the rocky, rounded summit you will find drop dead views in every direction.

Red Tape

Typical ScenePhilmont Trekkers on the Summit

You are only allowed to hike this peak if you are on a trek at Philmont Scout Ranch, are part of the staff, or have special permission from Philmont to do so. To contact Philmont, you can reach them at:

Address: Philmont Scout Ranch
Attn: CHQ
17 Deer Run Road
Cimarron, NM 87714
Phone: (575) 376-2281
Fax: (575) 376-2602
Email: camping@philmontscoutranch.org

Winter hiking is a no go. Philmont does offer a winter program called Kanuk, however, the winter activities are most limited to things around Camping Head Quarters (unless your staff or have special permission). Essentially, this peak can only be hiked during the summer (May- August) when Philmont's summer program is in operation.

Camping

Camping can be done in many places in the area. Shaefers Pass Camp (trail camp) is the closest camp to the peak. Tooth Ridge, Ponderosa Park, Upper Clarks Fork and North Fork Urraca are other close trail camps. The two closest staffed camps are Miners Park and Clarks Fork. If your on a trek at Philmont Scout Ranch, you a required to camp in a designated camp.

Getting There

Shaefers PeakShaefers from Cimarroncito Road

From Cimarron- Take Hwy 21 south for about five miles. Philmont Camping Head Quarters (CHQ) will be on the right side. This is where you will go if your a camper at Philmont. If your staff or have special permission, you could drive to the Cimarroncito Turnaround (North side of the peak) or drive to the Lovers Leap Turnaround (South side of the peak)

External Links

Philmont Scout Ranch
Lots of great information about Philmont.

Weather for Shaefers Peak
Current Weather Conditions for Shaefers Peak by NOAA

Misc

If you have any more additional information or photos, please contact me or add them to this page. Thank you!
Me on the SummitMe on the Summit