Bruach na Frìthe

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 57.24702°N / 6.21071°W
Additional Information County: Skye
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3143 ft / 958 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Typical stunning scenery. En...Summit view
Winter WonderlandWinter light
On the summit of Bruach na Frithe.In the clouds

Bruach na Frìthe is the only Munro of the Cuillin ridge whose ascent doesn't require the use of hands at any point, and then from far the easiest of all.

This top lies a bit in the shaddow of his famous neighbours Am Bhàsteir and Sgùrr nan Gillean (in terms of technical richness and variety, not height), but it makes the perfect goal for those who feel like visiting the Cuillins but not familiar with any sort of scrambling. For this reason, it is also the only mountain in the Cuillins one can reasonably visit in winter without too advanced winter skills.

Its proximity from Sligachan is another obvious good reason to visit it.

The summit provides fine views to the mouth of Glen Brittle, and the north of the Isle of Skye, with the Storr and the famous Old Man of Storr in the skyline. On the South, we can aslo recognize Loch Coruisk far ahead looking into the Harta Corrie.

In the same hike, Sgùrr a'Bhàsteir (not to mix with Am Bhàsteir, the bigger brother) can be visited too. It is worth to recommend, because this smaller peaklet (898) unveils the whole view on the north and the deep Coire a'Bhàsteir, which Bruach na Frìthe does not provide.

Let's mention finally that the standard route, from Sligachan, along the stream visits a serie of beautiful pools called the "Fairy pools".
The final crest to Bruach na FrìtheFinal crest

Getting There


View Larger Map

A little video of the ascent.


The Northern CuillinSligachan view
The Cuillin Ridge of SkyeGlen Brittle view

Sligachan, the locality where all trailheads are, is accessible by the A87, via the well known bridge to the Isle of Skye, and via the Loch Lochy junction near Fort William both if we arrive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. From Aberdeen, it is adviseable to go via Inverness.
By public transports, Sligachan is a stop of the autobus going to the Isle of Skye, first after the brige of Kyle of Lochalsh.

Routes

From near to Sligachan. The...Sligachan trailhead
The Fairy PoolsOne of the Fairy Pools
Bruach na FritheRidge in winter
The Twisting RidgeRidge in summer
Sgurr nan Gillean from Bruach na FrìtheSgurr nan Gillean
South view from Bruach na FrìtheSouth view
Sgùrr a Bhàsteir from Bruach na FrìtheSgùrr a'Bhàsteir
Am BasteirBhastheir tooth

The usual starting point is Sligachan, one can start from Glen Brittle too. From Sligachan, we take the well visible trail leading to the pass Bealach a' Mhaim, and following the stream Allt Dearg Mor, in which are the "fairy pools" mentionned in the overview. Just before Bealach a' Mhaim we leave the trail and head south into Fionn Coire.

All routes cross steep ground and scree. The simplest and most common route ascends via Fionn Coire. Then the crest reaches the summit on the right, where a concrete triangulation point was erected in 1976. There is plenty of space on the top to sit and take in the panorama without feeling promiscuity.
A slightly harder route uses the Northwest Ridge. The loop using this one during the ascent and the first for the descent is commonly done. As previously mentionned, Sgùrr a'Bhàsteir makes a fine extra for the day before returning.

The most breathtaking moment of the ascent by the standard route is when we reach the pass, and where the view plunges into Lotta Coire, unveiling Bla Bheinn, Elgol and Rum in the skyline. Sgurr nan Gillean's Pinnacle Ridge also reveals its most spectacular angles.

The other emblematic summit Am Bhàsteir is nust nearby and longs to be climbed as well, but it is defended by a very impressive rocky feature called the Bhasteir Tooth, standing over pass Bealach nan Lice. This amazing and scary shape is well visible from Sligachan, and is one of the first features that hits the eye of the visitor observing the Cuillin for the very first time, just like a warning sign.


tour cycliste 427543 - powered by Wandermap 
Click here for a larger map

Panorama East of Bruach na FritheWinter panorama

Red tape

Storr from Bruach na FrìtheLooking to Storr
Sligachan from Bruach na FrìtheLooking to Sligachan

No particular regulation, but anyone planning to visit this peak should remind that the whole Cuillin ridge in general, is completely different from what we are used to see in Scottish mountains. A good head for heights and scrambling abilities are required almost everywhere.

Warning : it is also said that an Austin Mini without a driver is haunting the area.

Accomodation

The Campsite at Sligachan - Isle of SkyeSligachan campsite
Bruach na FritheTeam success !

Not much to mention apart from the almost-unavoidable Sligachan hotel, which is also (and above all) a campsite.
There is a B&B in Portree named after this mountain, but it is not the closest location from the trailhead.
Wild-camping is in theory not forbidden, however be aware that pitching a tent in the Cuillins themselves is irrealistic given the nature of the ground. Then, possible places tend to be down in the valley. In this case make sure you choose a place off the beaten track and far enough from Sligachan to avoid possible troubles.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cuillin RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
Isle of SkyeMountains & Rocks