Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.27838°N / 120.0001°W
Additional Information County: Washoe
Additional Information Elevation: 9271 ft / 2826 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Baldy is a flattish peak that is cut in half by the CA-NV stateline. It is part of the same ridge containing Rose Knob and Rose Knob Peak (pages soon to come). Although the summit is covered in scrubby trees, the south ridge just below the summit has some of the best views of Lake Tahoe that one can have. It is accessible a number of ways but the only maintained trail to cross its slopes is the Tahoe Rim Trail that cuts across the peak just to the south of the actual summit. Rifle Peak is also very close to the summit of Mt. Baldy, offering a vast view to the North.

Getting There

There are several options for starts for this hike, all of them leaving from the North Tahoe area. The Tahoe Rim Trail approach leaves from the western side of CA 267, a few miles to the North of Kings Beach, CA, at a designated Tahoe Rim Trail parking area and trailhead. The trailhead is about a mile shy of the summit of 267 if you come from the Kings Beach side, you can't miss it. The other approach leaves from the town of Kings Beach and travels up a few dirt roads until turning into a cross country route. From the intersection of CA 267 and CA 28 (Lake Tahoe BLVD) drive West heading for NV. After about 1.5 miles, take a left onto Beaver St. Follow Beaver all the way to the jct. with Cutthroat St. For the complete directions to this trailhead go to the Kings Beach Route page that I will attach shortly.

Red Tape

Mt. Baldy is in the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit and is also the boundary for the Mt. Rose Wilderness. Fires are not allowed in either of these areas. Outside of Mt Rose Wilderness there are no camping regulations except to stay away from the Tahoe Rim Trail. Inside the wilderness area there are some stricter rules. Look up the Mt. Rose Wilderness regulations for more info.

Camping

There are many excellent campsites in the area of Mt. Baldy both en route and once on the summit ridge. Whichever route is taken there are ample sites, not many defined ones, but plenty of good spots for them. One such spot is on the Kings Beach Route, about 2/3 of the way up after you walk under the power lines and down into the col. This spot is very protected from the wind and close to some great views from the power lines area.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

mile from the summit?

The trailhead off of 267 is way further than a mile from the summit. However, it appears there are side roads leading up to the ridge off 267. Kingsview Road leads up to near the summit. Are these drivable with a regular car, or do you need 4WD? There is no TRT trailhead within a mile of the summit, is there? I really would love to know an easier way to get to this ridge, but this page needs some clarification.

bigsuit

bigsuit - Apr 15, 2010 1:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: mile from the summit?

Sorry if I was unclear, what I actually meant was a mile from the summit of 267. Brockway summit that is. If you follow the rim trail out there its about 7 miles of trail. It is possible to get pretty close if you have a 4wd vehicle that you can beat up. I can give you some more info about the 4wd roads back there if you like.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Carson RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Mount Rose WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
Lake Tahoe BasinMountains & Rocks