Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.98026°N / 116.60035°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5889 ft / 1795 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Middle Peak is situated between North Peak and Cuyamaca Peak, hence its name. It is located in the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. There are many existing roads and trails leading to the summit of this mountain. The final 200 feet require a fair amount of bushwhacking if you wish to reach the actual summit.

This view from the top of this mountain is unremarkable due to the amount of trees and brush. This area was devastated by the 2003 fires and is still recovering. Most of the large trees along the trail were completely burned.


Middle Peak in the Clouds



Charred Trees



Getting There

From the North
-Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just past the town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
-Go south on SR 79 for 9 miles to the Cuyamaca Dam.
-Continue 1.1 miles to a road on the right side (west) with a sign "Camp Hual-Cu-Cuish". Park on the left (east) side of the highway.

From the South
-Go north on 79 to a road on the right side (west) with a sign "Camp Hual-Cu-Cuish". Park on the left (east) side of the highway.

Red Tape

There are no restrictions when hiking this peak

Camping

Paso Picacho Campground
-Drive a few miles south of the trailhead, the campground and day use parking area will be on your right.

Campground Link

External Links

Trip Report: 3/6/2010

HPS Page