Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.10190°N / 71.18141°W
Additional Information Elevation: 908 ft / 277 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From South Pawtuckaway...


At 908 feet, South Pawtuckaway is the second highest summit in Pawtuckaway State Park and is also home to many of the State Park's best views. The summit is also home to only Fire Tower in the Park. Though the summit is wooded there are plenty of areas to scramble and climb on the summit area which having great views of the region.

From the top lookout tower your can see the Uncanoonucs, Mount Monadnock, the seacoast and many other summits in the region. Views often surprise people because this summit is not very large. In summertime this peak can be crowded due to the easy access to the summit from 2 mile roundtrip 600' elevation gain Tower Trail located on the western side of the park.

This summit is highly desired in early spring and late fall when many other trails are already snowcovered and the summit here other great sunset views. Though the Tower Trail is steeper and direct, it is short enough for all fitness levels. If time is slim and you want to find a summit that provided bang for the buck you will fnd it with this gem.

From South Mountain Fire...

Getting There

VIA RESERVATION ROAD: From exit 5 head north towards Raymond. Continue on the road until you run into Route 27, 107. Head left on route 27/107. Stay on Route 27/107 for four miles when Route 107 will split on your right. Take 107 roughly three more miles (two mile past the Derryfield sign) and continue to Reservation Road on your right. Turn right on Reservation Road and State on the road which turn to gravel in roughly a mile. Stay on Reservation road and at about 2.5 mile you will run into an intersection between with the two main dirt roads in the western section of the park, Round Pond Road and Tower Road.

Red Tape

No fees on the Reservation Road. However on the State Park side there are fees.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on the mountains themselves. However Pawtuckaway State Campground is located on the eastern side of the park (Mountain Road (Fee)).

External Links

General State Park Information

Printable Park Map

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pawtuckaway MountainsMountains & Rocks