Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.01539°N / 4.34162°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1401 ft / 427 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

On the outskirts of the city of Glasgow lies the small, but steep peak of Dumgoyne. It is a peak that can be seen dominating the horizon from the western and northern areas of Glasgow and is commonly known as The Sleeping Giant. Dumgoyne sits at the western side of the Campsie Fells range and can be clearly identified as it is this point that makes up the head of the giant. With the exception of this peak and Meikle Bin, The Campsie Fells are basically a flat and grassy plateau thats real character is displayed by the sharp cliff faces that overlook the small towns of Blanefield, Lennoxtown and Fintry.

At 427m, Dumgoyne is certainly not the highest peak in the land and is by no means the highest in the range, (this accolade belongs to Earl's Seat at 578m) but is definitely the one with most character and the one that is a favourite with many walkers.

The most popular route of ascent for Dumgoyne is from the west at Strathblane. The route begins next to the Glengoyne Distillery and strikes directly east-north-east, over a well defined path, all the way to the summit trig point. From the summit the views are surprisingly extensive, with Ben Lomond, the Arrochar Alps, Crainlarich and Loch Earn hills clearly identifiable. On a really clear day, the tops on the Isle of Arran can also be seen.

Dumgoyne sits directly next to the West Highland Way, which is a long distance walking route linking Milngavie, on the outskirts of Glasgow, to Fort William. As Dumgoyne is only 7 miles into the West Highland Way and only takes between 2 and 3 hours to complete, it proves a popular early detour for some of the walkers. Whether it is a more popular sideline activity compared to the tour/tasting session of the distillery is highly debatable!

Getting There

Diretions detailed are from Glasgow only as this is a local hill to the city (roughly 30mins travel distance).

CAR

Car directions to Dumgoyne from Glasgow can be seen on the embedded map below. Click on the view larger map link for more detailed directions.


View Larger Map

BUS
From Buchanan Bus station in Glasgow, get the No.10 bus for Balfron which stops right outside the gates of the distillery. Buses run approx every hour. You can also get the Whisky bus straight to the distillery, that will cater for small to large groups, so you could add a nice whisky tasting session into your climb! Details here.

Red Tape

The Sleeping Giant..The Sleeping Giant from Ben A'an.(Photo by: Boydie)


There is no red tape in Scotland due to the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 which incorporated the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. This code, which commenced on the 9th of February 2005, has established statutory rights of access to land and inland water for outdoor recreation.

The Land Reform(Scotland) Act 2003
Scottish Outdoor Access Code

The following aspects should be taken into consideration when you are in the Scottish countryside;

    • Seek local advice in regard to deer stalking or grouse shooting activities
    • Ensure that all gates are closed behind you
    • During the lambing season (March to May) ensure that all dogs are kept on a lead
    • Please refrain from feeding or annoying any animals
    • Limited parking space is available at the start of many routes, please ensure that you are not blocking a road and/or entrance
    • Parking is provided at the start of some routes by the local farmers, it is polite to ask if you can use this facility
    • Try to refrain from crossing fields with animals and/or crops if an alternative route is available
    • Ensure that you treat the local environment with care by leaving it as you found it and by taking any litter home with you

  • Any camp fires should be carefully watched and only used away from dense forest areas

Local Accommodation

There is a huge variety of accommodation available in the city of Glasgow, which is detailed on the map below;


View Larger Map

Below is a list of possible accommodation venues that are located in the direct vacinity of Dumgoyne.

Hotels


Strathblane Country House Hotel
Strathblane Falconry
Kirkhouse Inn

 
Pheasant
A pheasant in Strathblane, close to Dumgoyne. (Photo by: Boydie)
 
West Highland Way 1
Dumgoyne from the West Highland Way. (Photo by: James Orr)
 
Sunlit Dumgoyne
A sunlit snowy Dumgoyne in December. (Photo by: Boydie)



Hostels/Campsites/B&B's


Bankell Farm
Alba Hostel
Laurel Bank B&B
Tambowie Farm

Wild Camping


Wild camping is totally legal in Scotland and can be done in various locations close to Dumgoyne, especially as it runs close to the West Highland Way. This is due to the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 that was mentioned earlier.

Here are some of the basic rules that should be adopted when wild camping;

    • The larger the group, the harder it is to keep impacts to a minimum. Keep groups small.
    • Camp as unobtrusively as possible.
    • Remember that noise travels from tents disturbing wildlife as well as humans.
    • Enjoy the freedom of wild camping without leaving a trace of your passage. Protect our country's outstanding scenery and wildlife as well as the wilderness experience.
    • Camping on the same spot harms vegetation. Aim to move frequently and do not stay for any longer than 3 nights in the same place.
    • Lighting fires poses a high fire risk on peaty soils and close to tinder dry grass. A high risk of fire can exist at any time of year, and not just in times of drought.
    • Watercourses and loch sides are important sites for birds and animals. Take extra care when camping near burns and lochs, and try to avoid camping immediately beside them.
    • Always find a spot at least 30 metres from fresh/running water when going to the toilet.
    • Bury excrement in a small hole (not under boulders). A trowel or ice axe can be used to lift a flap of turf.

  • Remove all litter (even other peoples!) Think ahead and only carry in what you are prepared to carry out.

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland provides an invaluable leaflet providing a full breakdown of the dos and don'ts of wild camping in Scotland. Wild Camping, A guide to good practice.

Campsie Fells Campsie Fells Panorama from the summit of Dumgoyne. (Photo by: Boydie)

Mountain/Weather Conditions

The following websites will provide invaluable information on the expected conditions for Dumgoyne.

Southeastern Highlands Forecast

Avalanche forecast

Books & Maps

Books


The Central Highlands by Donald Bennet

The Corbetts and other Scottish Hills

Scottish Hill and Mountain Names by Peter Drummond

View this map on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com

Maps


OS sheet 64 Glasgow

OS sheet 57 Stirling & the Trossachs

OS Explorer 348 Campsie Fells

External Links

Summit trig of Dumgoyne
Summit trig of Dumgoyne. (Photo by: Boydie)


Visit Scotland

Discover Scotland

Undiscovered Scotland

Walk the Highlands

The Scottish Mountaineering Club

Mountain Rescue Committee of Scotland

West Highland Way

Glengoyne Distillery

Stratblanefield