Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.27355°N / 82.86786°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5072 ft / 1546 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pilot Mountain is located just to the east of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The summit offers hikers with exceptional 360 degree views of the surrounding peaks. The hike to the summit is fairly straight forward but it does gain just under 2000 feet of elevation in around two miles. The trail is filled with switchbacks which make the elevation gain feel very manageable and there are a few cliff overlooks along the way to take breaks as needed. Once on the summit, you can either keep on hiking out towards Sassafras Knob or return the same way you hiked. Pilot makes for a very nice hike and does not draw the large crowds that you will find up on the parkway.
Pilot Summit

Getting There

From 276: turn on to Government road 475. You will continue on the road all the way until Gloucester Gap. You will see a set of stairs that indicate the beginning of the trail. Parking space is limited directly across the trail.

From 215: Head north on either Skoal Creek Road or Gloucester road to 475 which will take you up to Gloucester Gap.
Pilot MountainTrailhead

Red Tape

None

Camping

Davidson River Campground is the nearest actual campground.
Take US 64 to US 276 and head west for about 1.5 miles. The campground is located on the left side.
$20 a night and open year round.

Campground Number 828-862-5960

External Links

Pilot Summit View