Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.58820°N / 121.9621°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3957 ft / 1206 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Lincoln, Colfax and Baker Lincoln, Colfax & Baker seen from the route to Josephine Summit
      "It was like I could reach out and touch Mount Baker," exclaimed the late Maxine Meyers in a 2000 interview. Meyer stayed one season (1956) in the old lookout tower as the fire watcher. The Mount Josephine Lookout was developed in 1938 with a 55' wooden tower with 8x8' cab and ground house living quarters. A 40' wooden DNR live-in was built in 1959 and destroyed in 1981.  
Josephine Tower 1943 Mount Josephine Lookout Tower 1943.
Mount Josephine is a mountain summit located in Skagit County, WA. Josephine climbs to 3,957 feet above sea level with 1,317 feet of clean prominence . In the summer when the snow melts there is a rugged logging road (also known as Mt Josephine Truck Trail) that will get you to about 50 feet from the summit. The nice, flat summit of Josephine was home to the fire lookout tower described above. Only the remains of the four structural concrete corners are left today. Even though the summit has a nice flat spot, the south edge is sheer cliffs. The summit holds great 360 degree views of all the local surrounding peaks. Looking northeast you will have amazing views of the Twin Sisters Mountain and Mt Baker. Also great views looking down into the Skagit River Valley. This summit is HIGHLY recommended in the late winter - early spring. You will not typically see much traffic that time of the year and there will not be any driving to the summit at that time. The day that I hiked to the summit was in May of a mild winter. I could only drive to 3,000' so it was a 1.5 mile snow hike to the summit. There was 3' to 5' of snow on the road with great views the whole way.  
Mount Josephine Hiking in the evening on the snow covered road to the Summit.
 
Mount Josephine Mount Josephine seen from point 3,210'

Getting There

Heading East on Highway 20 from Sedro-Woolley. As you enter Hamilton take a left on Scott Paper Rd, take a right on Hamilton Cementery Rd and then take a left on Medford Rd. Continue on Medford Rd until there will be a Y in the road at a horse camp area. Take a left at this Y. From this point it is all miles of logging roads. Follow the map that has been provided. The map shows how to get just below the 3,210' highpoint and also just below Mount Josephine Summit.
Mount Josephine The White lines represent driving and the Red lines represent hiking.

Red Tape

This is a year round Summit. Being able to drive all the logging roads, I would not attempt this during hunting season unless you are wearing Hunter's Orange. The area is plentiful with Deer, Elk and Bear. The best time of year to hike this would be late winter to early spring. This is a great snow hike that does not get alot of traffic that time of the year.

Camping

Not needed to make the summit, but might be a fun idea to get away in the early season. I did not see any signs that said no camping. Camping would be at your own risk, however I did notice many flat landings that would make great camping spots. A great idea would be hiking up to the snowy summit and watching the sunset, then camping for the night. Here is a link to an overnight trip my 5 year old son and I did in 2011. Trip Report Here
Morning Camp Camping below the summit of Josephine

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
gimpilator

gimpilator - Jun 8, 2010 4:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Lat / Lon

It seems the coordinate number are off a bit. At the moment, Josephine is out in the Pacific Ocean.

beaudaddy85

beaudaddy85 - Jun 10, 2010 8:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lat / Lon

Thanks Gimp!!! Got it Fixed. I need to start double checking coordinates before I post pages. This hasn't been the first time I've gotten one wrong.

Cascade Scrambler

Cascade Scrambler - Sep 1, 2012 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

roads

Scott Paper road isn't signed. Take pretty much any northern road in Hamilton, proceed from there. Best bet is to head north on the road just prior to the trestle.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3