Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.08982°N / 123.97987°W
Additional Information County: Clallam
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3748 ft / 1142 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Muller is a low-elevation peak located in the northern region of the Olympic Mountains. Located in Clallam County, Washington, the mountain is neither the shortest nor the highest peak in the county. Mount Muller is, however, the county's point of greatest prominence (also known as the COGPP) and the county's only peak with over 2000' of prominence. In fact, Mount Muller is the 18th-most prominent COGPP in Washington and the 75th-most prominent mountain in Washington.
Muller fr Storm KingMount Muller (Photo Credit: Paul Klenke and Mark Scherer)

Standard access to the mountain is via Mount Muller Trail #882. The trail was actually designed as a "loop" trail, with both endpoints having the same trailhead. From the Mount Muller Trailhead, trail users can either steeply ascend to the ridgetop west of the mountain, or gently traverse across the south side of Mount Muller before steeply ascending to the ridgetop east of the mountain. If the Mount Muller summit is the only goal, it can be reached in 5.3 miles from the west end of the trail system, or it can be reached in 7.5 miles from the east end of the trail system. Many trail users opt to hike the entire 12.8-mile loop. The mountain is accessible year-round, and the Mount Muller Trail is open to non-motorized use only (i.e. hikers, bicyclists, equestrians, snowshoers).
Mount Muller TrailSouthern Section Of Mount Muller Trail

Mount Muller is a peak full of thick evergreen forests, flowers, and an abundance of wildlife. The ridgetop of the peak is primarily comprised of thick evergreen forests on its west side and rocky outcrops intersparsed with forests on its east side. Multiple sub-alpine meadows are located along the ridgeline. The bottom of the peak is primarily comprised of thick temperate forests, nearly rainforests, meadows, and bogs. Nearly all of the mountain is land overseen by the Olympic National Forest. Several lower sections of the mountain are owned by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), but those areas are already mostly clear-cut. The mountain is full of young forests and second-growth forests.
Mount Muller TrailWestern Section Of Mount Muller Trail

On a clear day, views from the mountaintop can be spectacular. Mount Olympus, Lake Crescent, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Sol Duc Valley, among other notable areas, can all be seen from various locations along the ridgetop. One of the most popular photo-taking areas on the mountain is located 0.2 miles southeast of the summit at a viewpoint referred to as "Panorama Point".
Mt. Olympus in winterMount Olympus, as seen from Mount Muller (Photo Credit: Bob Bolton)

One of the more unusual geological formations on the mountain is "Fouts Rock House", a small cave-like formation caused by the positioning of a large boulder outcrop. The formation was named after Stan Fouts, a famous local trail builder who led the team that constructed the current Mount Muller Trail. Fouts Rock House is not large enough to be considered a cave, but is large enough to provide shelter during inclement weather.
Fouts Rock HouseFouts Rock House

Mount Muller is named after the Muller family, ranchers who lived at the southeastern corner of the peak near Lake Crescent in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In 1907, a slash fire that was started on the Muller ranch got out of control and burned an estimated 12,500 acres on the mountain slopes.

Getting There

FROM PORT ANGELES, WA:
1) Start from the intersection of Highway 101 and N. Lincoln Street, where Highway 101 takes a sharp turn southward.
2) Drive 30.6 miles south and west along Highway 101, until near Milepost 216.
3) Turn right (north) onto FS-3071. There is a sign prior to the intersection that indicates the direction for the Mount Muller Trailhead.
NOTE: For reference purposes, FS-2918 is directly across the highway from FS-3071.
4) Follow FS-3071 for 0.25 miles to the Mount Muller Trailhead and parking area.
Mount Muller TrailheadMount Muller Trailhead

FROM FORKS, WA:
1) Start from where Highway 101 exits the north side of town.
2) Drive ~24.5 miles north and east along Highway 101, until near Milepost 216.
3) Turn left (north) onto FS-3071. There is a sign prior to the intersection that indicates the direction for the Mount Muller Trailhead.
NOTE: For reference purposes, FS-2918 is directly across the highway from FS-3071.
4) Follow FS-3071 for 0.25 miles to the Mount Muller Trailhead and parking area.

Red Tape

A recreational use pass is required for each vehicle parking at/near the Mount Muller Trailhead. Here are the acceptable passes:
-> Northwest Forest Pass (Annual, or Day Pass)
-> Washington and Oregon Recreation Pass
-> Oregon Pacific Coast Passport
-> Golden Passport
-> Interagency Annual Pass
-> Interagency Lifetime Pass

Camping

Multiple official campgrounds are located within 10 miles of Mount Muller. Please visit the Olympic National Park website for specific locations and details.

Mount Muller Trail & Other Route Options

MOUNT MULLER LOOP TRAIL VIA WEST/CLOCKWISE APPROACH (STANDARD):
0.0 Miles, 1050' Elevation: Mount Muller Trailhead.
3.0 Miles, 3250' Elevation: Jim's Junction, where trail reaches ridgetop.
5.3 Miles, 3748' Elevation: Mount Muller Summit.
5.5 Miles, 3550' Elevation: Panorama Point.
8.6 Miles, 1800' Elevation: Fout's Rock House.
10.0 Miles, 1100' Elevation: Hutch Creek crossing.
12.8 Miles, 1050' Elevation: Mount Muller Trailhead.
Mount Muller SummitMount Muller Summit


MOUNT MULLER LOOP TRAIL VIA EAST/COUNTER-CLOCKWISE APPROACH:
0.0 Miles, 1050' Elevation: Mount Muller Trailhead.
2.8 Miles, 1100' Elevation: Hutch Creek crossing.
4.2 Miles, 1800' Elevation: Fout's Rock House.
7.3 Miles, 3550' Elevation: Panorama Point.
7.5 Miles, 3748' Elevation: Mount Muller Summit.
9.8 Miles, 3250' Elevation: Jim's Junction, where trail leaves ridgetop.
12.8 Miles, 1050' Elevation: Mount Muller Trailhead.
Hutch Creek CrossingHutch Creek Crossing

------------

*** The ridgetop elevation gains can be misleading, as the ridgeline is very hilly rather than a steady incline to/from the summit. A good example of this is via the standard western approach, which reaches the ridgetop at 3250' elevation at a location called Jim's Junction. The final 2.3 miles to the summit from Jim's Junction is only ~500' vertical. However, the cumulative elevation gain from Jim's Junction to the summit is over 1000' elevation gain rather than being close to ~500' elevation gain.

*** The average hiker should allow at least 6-8 hours to complete the entire "loop" trail.
------------

OTHER ROUTES:
-> Access to Mount Muller can also be achieved via the Snider Ridge Trail located west of the mountain, which intersects the Mount Muller Trail at Jim's Junction.
-> Access to Mount Muller can also be achieved via a trail system originating from FS-3040, located northwest of the mountain and which also intersects the Mount Muller Trail at Jim's Junction.
Mount Muller - Western RidgetopWestern Ridge Of Mount Muller


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Olympic Range (WA)Mountains & Rocks