Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.75571°N / 12.81469°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5846 ft / 1782 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

ZwieselZwiesel as seen from Hochstaufen - Zwiesel traverse


Zwiesel is a three peak ridge between the southeast Bavarian alpine foreland to the north and the valley of Bad Reichenhall to the southeast.

Immediate neighbour of the nearly equally high Hochstaufen, the three Zwiesel summits, belonging to the easternnmost subrange of Chiemgau Alps (Staufen subrange), see less visitors than the more popular Hochstaufen. Maybe that is due to the wellknown Pidinger Klettersteig, a difficult via ferrata from Piding to Hochstaufen summit. Maybe that is because of Reichenhaller Haus below the summit of Hochstaufen, offering great views and Weißbier on the sunny southern terrace.

On the Zwiesel summits however you will find more solitude, nice meadows for a nap and equally good views to the south, west and east. And there is Zwieselalm on the south slopes of the mountain waiting with food and lodging, if needed.

Showing a more rugged and rocky appearance to the north and, when viewed from the west or east a sharp and peaked outline, Zwiesel is a broad and comfortable looking ridge to the south.

Zwiesel, sometimes named Hinterstaufen, consists of three summits:

  • Gamsknogel (1750 m) to the west (yes, it is GamskNogel (!), not Gamskogel, don´t ask me what “Knogel” means)

  • Zwiesel (1781 m) and

  • Zennokopf (1758 m) to the east



  • Hochstaufen and ZwieselImpressive Zwiesel (left) and Hochstaufen (right) as seen from Salzburg (thanks to MauriceRavel)


    All three summits can be traversed easily using a connecting trail which runs east – west over the dwarf pine overgrown ridge.

    There are five main hiking routes to Zwiesel summits and two winter / spring ski routes. Besides that Zwiesel is the starting or ending point of the Hochstaufen – Zwiesel traverse and part of the E 4 / Maximiliansweg, one of the European long distance hiking trails.



    Getting There

    ZwieselZennokopf and Zwiesel


    Main trailheads for Zwiesel peaks are:

  • Bad Reichenhall / Gasthof List

  • Weißbach / Jochberg

  • Inzell / Adlgaß



  • For Bad Reichenhall / Gasthof List trailhead use highway A 8 from Munich or Austrian highway (toll road) A 1 to the exit Piding / Bad Reichenhall
    Follow the road number 20 to Bad Reichenhall. Leave the road to cross the river Saalach at the signposts to Schneizlreuth, Karlstein, Nonn.
    Immediately after the bridge turn right at the traffic light and follow the road to Nonn. Where the road turns to western direction go straight on until the road ends at Gasthof List with a parking area for guests of the inn and for hikers, too.

    For Adlgaß trailhead leave the highway A 8, München – Salzburg – at the exit Traunstein / Siegsdorf and follow the road number 306 to Inzell.
    From Bad Reichenhall follow road number St2101 and 305 to Inzell.
    At Inzell follow the local roads to the east, passing Würau, Eck and arriving at the parking area of Adlgaß.

    For Weißbach or Jochberg trailheads go on road 305 to Weißbach. The Weißbach trailhead is at the western end of the village.
    Alternatively follow the Jochbergstraße at Weißbach to the little village of Jochberg and to a parking area at the end of that road.


    Normal Routes Overview

    ZwieselNormal Routes Overview
    ZwieselZwiesel as seen from southeast



    There are five main routes leading up to the summit ridge.

  • Adlgaß trailhead
    Follow the north slope trail from Adlgaß inn up to Zwiesel.
    Alternatively follow the E 4 / Maximilianweg, starting at Schneewinkl southwest of Adlgaß. Follow the trail up to Heimgartenstein (west ridge of Zwiesel). Leave E 4 trail to ascend Gamsknogel directly using the west ridge or
    Traverse on E 4 / Maximilianweg to Zwieselalm and ascend to Zwiesel / Zennokopf via the south route ascent. Finish your traverse by using the ridge connecting trail.

  • Weißbach trailhead
    Follow trail number “Ko” to Scharnkopf, Gruberhörndl and Heimgartenstein, using the long southwest and west ridge of Zwiesel. Continue from Heimgartenstein as described above.

  • Jochberg trailhead
    Follow a trail to the west and the northwest to Staufenstube and Heimgartenstein with the trail junctions to Adlgaß or Weißbach. Continue as described above.
    Alternatively follow the forest road number “Wi” and “Mü” up to the E 4 / Maximilianweg. Follow the signposts to Zwieselalm and continue to Zwiesel and Zennokopf using the south slope summit trail.

  • Bad Reichenhall / Gasthof List trailhead
    Follow the E 4 / Maximilianweg up to Zwieselalm and then the south slope summit trail to Zwiesel and Zennokopf.

  • The ski routes start from Jochberg; follow the signposted routes through the woods and follow the south slopes up to Gamsknogel / alternatively to Zwiesel and Zennokopf.

  • Traverse route
    Hochstaufen – Zwiesel traverse.



  • ZwieselZwiesel as seen from Hochstaufen - Zwiesel traverse
    ZwieselAscent to Zennokopf
    ZwieselZwiesel and Zennokopf as seen from northeast



    Red Tape & Accommodation

    ZwieselGamsknogel and the meadows of Zennokopf


    There is no red tape as far as I know.

    All types of accommodation can be found at

  • Bad Reichenhall

  • Piding

  • Inzell

  • Weißbach / Jochberg



  • Mountain huts and inns

  • Zwieselalm

  • Gasthof List

  • Gasthof Adlgaß





  • Gear, Mountain Condition & Maps

    ZwieselSoldanella alpina is abundant on the south slopes of Zwiesel in springtime


    Zwiesel is an all season mountain. Winter / spring ski routes are not very frequented because Berchtesgaden Alps offer more demanding and interesting ski routes.

    The traverse Hochstaufen – Zwiesel is normally open in april / may until the first heavy snowfalls.

    The hiking routes require full hiking gear, good shoes and – as to Hochstaufen – Zwiesel traverse route – some rock scrambling experiences (UIAA grade I, mainly secured with fixed ropes).

    The ski routes require full ski hiking gear and avalanche gear.

    Check the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

    The following maps can be recommended:

    Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen
    Scale 1 : 25.000
    Number BY 19, Chiemgauer Alpen Ost, Sonntagshorn

    Kompass Wanderkarte
    Scale 1 : 50.000
    Number WK 14 Berchtesgadener Land-Chiemgauer Alpen ISBN: 3-85491-017-7

    Current Weather:

    Check the weather forecast here.




    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-2 of 2
    SzaniUherkovich

    SzaniUherkovich - Aug 31, 2012 4:32 am - Voted 10/10

    Correct Height?

    Isn't Zwiesel 1782 m high? In the header of the page I see 1758 m. Cheers, Szani

    selinunte01

    selinunte01 - Aug 31, 2012 6:47 am - Hasn't voted

    Re: Correct Height?

    You´re right, I mixed it with Zennokopf height! Thanks.

    Viewing: 1-2 of 2


    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Chiemgau AlpsMountains & Rocks