Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.76429°N / 81.22861°W
Additional Information County: Wythe
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4080 ft / 1244 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Comers Rock is located in the Iron Mountains of Virginia and is part of the Mount Rogers National Recreation area. It is also the highest point in Wythe County. There are the remains of an observation deck on the summit as well as some nearby rock outcrops. The trees are growing tall enough to hinder what was once a nice, open view but there is still a pretty scene to the south of the higher peaks on Buck Mountain and Point Lookout Mountain. On a clear day, looking southwest, one can see the rugged peaks of North Carolina's Amphibolite Mountains including Jefferson, Phoenix, Elk Knob, and The Peak. There are also limited views east and north.
Comers RockComers Rock

Comers Rock panoramaThe view south from Comers Rock includes Point Lookout and Buck Mountains, among the highest peaks in the state.

Getting There

Little Dry Run Trail


The most enjoyable way to get to Comers Rock is a 4 1/2 mile hike one way through the Little Dry Run Wilderness on the Little Dry Run Trail. This leads through a pretty valley with lots of pines and hemlocks alongside a small wild trout stream. The trail is open to horses however, and may be muddy at certain times of the year. The trail crosses Little Dry Run numerous times and it is easy to miss a crossing and lose the trail if you're not paying attention. After about three miles the trail leaves the valley, crosses the Virginia Highlands Trail (which leads east for 2.3 miles back to U.S. 21) and continues up a ridge before eventually coming out on the crest a short distance below the summit.

Google Map of route

Comers Rock topoTopo map of Comers Rock and the Little Dry Run Trail.


Driving Directions


From the intersection of 4th and Main in Wytheville, Virginia head west on Main Street (which is also U.S. 21 South) for 14.7 miles, passing through the town of Speedwell on the way. There is a Forest Service trailhead parking area on the left side of the road. This is where the Henley Hollow Trail begins, but to hike up Little Dry Run to Comers Rock, walk across the road to a sign marking the beginning of the trail and a rockhop across Dry Run.

One may also drive to within a couple hundred yards of the summit by continuing south a couple more miles to the top of the mountain and the Grayson County line. Turn right onto FS 57 and continue about four miles out this dirt road to a short spur road to the parking area. The trail comes out on this spur road just before its end. A set of stone steps leads one or two hundred yards to the summit.


Red Tape

No motorized vehicles are allowed in Little Dry Run Wilderness. Also, this hike may prove impossible after heavy rain as there is an unbridged crossing of Dry Run at the very beginning.

External Links

Additional trip reports and information about Comers Rock can be found on the County Highpointers website at cohp.org

Camping

Primitive camping is allowed in Little Dry Run Wilderness and elsewhere along the trail. There is also a Forest Service Campground near the summit.
USFS Comers Rock website

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.