Anderson Peak (UN 13631)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.01220°N / 106.63015°W
Additional Information County: Pitkin/Gunnison
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13631 ft / 4155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Note About Name: This peak is officially unnamed. Mountain climbers have called it Anderson Peak after the lake by the same name that sits to the north of the mountain.
Anderson Peak
Anderson Peak

 
Anderson Peak & Anderson Lake
 
 
Anderson Peak
 

Anderson is a rugged peak that rises in the upper portions of the valley of Lincoln Creek not far from the town of Aspen in Central Colorado. The northern slopes of Anderson Peak are rocky/wall-like and create a basin that houses Anderson Lake (11820 ft).

To the northwest, Anderson is connected to Peak 13505 ft (Petroleum Peak) and to the southeast, it connects to Point 13482 ft. The valley of Lincoln Creek sits to the east of Anderson Peak and the Valley of Tellurium Creek to the west of it.

Despite its intimidating looks, Anderson Peak can be climbed via a non-technical route. The usual approach is from the Lincoln Creek Road, a rough 10 miles long dirt road. From the road, you will cross Lincoln Creek and follow a trail to Anderson Lake. From there, you will hike up steep grassy slopes to the top of Point 13105 ft and then follow a rocky ridgetop past several high points to reach the summit.
Anderson Peak
Anderson Peak

Views From The Summit









Castle Peak
Castle Peak
Mt. Snowmass
Mt. Snowmass
Petroleum Lake & Peak
Petroleum Peak
Looking Southeast
Point 13482 ft
Ruby Lakes
Ruby Lakes
Grizzly Peak
Grizzly Peak
Truro & Larson Peaks
Truro & Larson
SW
Looking SW
North Wall
North Slopes


Getting There

Anderson Lake
Anderson Lake

From the town of Aspen, drive roughly 10 miles east on Route 82 until you see the sign for the Lincoln Gulch Road (Forest Road 106) on the right (south) side of the road.

Guidebooks might say that most cars can drive up Lincoln Gulch Road but I found it to be pretty rough and will not drive it in anything less than an SUV.

Drive the pot hole ridden Lincoln Gulch Road east. After 3.3 miles, you will reach the junction of New York Creek Road. Continue straight (left). 0.75 miles later you will reach the Tabor Creek Trailhead.

After the Tabor Creek Trailhead, the road seems to become much smoother. It continues east for another 2.5 miles to reach the Grizzly Reservoir. Here the road turns south and becomes rough again. 4WD is recommended. Drive the road another 3.5 miles to reach the signed junction of the trail to Anderson & Petroleum Lakes (11200 ft)




Anderson Peak
 
Anderson Peak
 
Anderson Peak
 
Anderson Peak
 

Red Tape

No fees or permits needed for day hikes.
For other regulations, see the website for White River National Forest.




Rocky Ridgetop
 
(L) Anderson & (R) Point 13503 ft
 
Rocky Ridgetop
 
Nasty Slope
 



High Altitude Fox

Weather

Click to see the forecast for the nearby town of Aspen.



On the slopes to Point 13105 ft
 
Point 13105 ft
Point 13105 ft
On the Grassy slopes to Point 13105 ft
 

External Links

Petroleum and Anderson Lake Trail.
Map
 


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.