Signal Hill

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.57231°N / 52.67994°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 470 ft / 143 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

along the trailview along N Head trail
This is an enjoyable hike from the downtown area of St John’s, Newfoundland. There is a nice trail that runs above the entry to the harbor beneath the hill and winds back around the seaward side before climbing a great series of steps to reach the top. Alternatively, you can hike up good sidewalks all the way to the top following Signal Hill road. I suggest that a loop is the perfect choice for this beautiful hike going out the North Head walking trail and returning down Signal Hill road. From downtown St John’s the distance is an estimated 8 – 9 kilometers and can be done in 2 or 3 hours at a moderate pace.
summit cairnsummit cairn

Getting There

St John’s is the eastern terminus of the trans-Canada highway and has an international airport about 6 K north of the city. It can also be reached by sea via ferry from Nova Scotia.

Route description

view of town from towerview of town from tower
From downtown (by the pier) take Harbour drive north to where it turns NW and becomes Prescott street. Go two blocks on Prescott and turn right on Duckworth street. Follow Duckworth and stay right where it intersects with Plymouth road. Turn right on Battery road and follow it. Continue on Outer Battery road to the trailhead for the North Head walking trail. (1.7 K to Cabot tower).

An alternative route would be to stay on Duckworth to Signal Hill road and follow it to the top along the nice sidewalks.
Cabot towerCabot tower

External Links

map of St John’s