Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.54390°N / 83.3589°W
Additional Information County: Swain
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5160 ft / 1573 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Newton Bald has much in common with its Smoky Mountain neighbor Nettle Creek Bald. Both mountains are located on Thomas Ridge, which is one of the north-south ridges that connects to the main Smoky Mountain ridge on the Tennessee-North Carolina border. They were cleared of trees at their summit in the past, but are now blanketed by the Smoky Mountain forest. Unlike the balds of the Roan Highlands, which likely have been naturally clear of trees for at least 10,000 years, Nettle Creek and Newton Balds were cleared by mountain folk. When Newton Bald was incorporated into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the grazing ended, leading to reforestation. Although there are no views from Newton Bald, this peak is a botanists' and mycologists' delight.

Getting There

Indian Pipe on Nettle Creek BaldIndian Pipe

Extreme Closeup of Mushroom

Extreme Closeup of Summit TreeSummit Tree

Fire Pink on Nettle Creek BaldFire Pink

Yellow Flower on Thomas Ridge

St John s WortSt. John's Wort

Big Brown Mushroom on Thomas Divide Trail

Mushroom on Decaying Log


Thomas Divide Trail: From Gatlinburg, follow US 441 south from through Newfound Gap into North Carolina. Park at the Thomas Divide parking lot on the right of the highway. Hike on the Thomas Divide Trail, which descends about 60 feet before ascending to the crest of a ridge. The trail goes through some small ups and downs before reaching the junction with the Kanati Fork Trail. From here, the trail ascends to the summit of Nettle Creek Bald. It's about 2.4 miles from the trailhead to the summit.

The Thomas Divide Trail then descends about 600 feet to Tuskee Gap and gradually ascends along the Thomas Ridge. After 5 miles from the trailhead, you reach the junction with the Newton Bald Trail. Turn left onto the Newton Bald Trail and follow it for 0.6 miles to the junction with the Mingus Creek Trail. Backtrack about 100 feet and start bushwhacking along the ridge for about 0.1 miles to the summit. The bushwhack is about a B2- on the Bushwhacking Scale.

Round trip: 11.4 miles with an elevation gain of about 2,300 feet.

Newton Bald Trail: From Gatlinburg, follow US 441 south from through Newfound Gap into North Carolina. Turn left on the road into the Smokemont Campground. Immediately after crossing the bridge, turn into the parking area, which is on the right. Cross US 441 and walk on the grass upstream for about 0.15 miles. Look for the Newton Bald trail signs at the edge of the woods.

Hike for 4.7 miles on the Newton Bald Trail to the junction with the Mingus Creek Trail. Continue for about 100 feet on the Newton Bald Trail and start bushwhacking along the ridge for about 0.1 miles to the summit.

Round trip: 9.9 miles with an elevation gain of about 3,000 feet.

Red Tape

No pets. Leave the fauna, flora, and fungi alone. That's about it.

Fauna, Flora, and Fungi

Fauna




Little Centipede on Big Orange MushroomCentipede
Inchworm on Nettle Creek BaldInchworm
Yellow Spider on Thomas RidgeSpider


Flora




Black-Eyed Susan on Thomas RidgeBlack-Eyed Susan
RhododendronsRhododendron

Spiderwort on Nettle Creek BaldSpiderwort


Fungi




Red Mushroom on Newton Bald
Profusion of Small Orange Mushrooms

Brown Mushroom on Newton Bald

When to Climb

Netwton Bald can be climbed all year round. Because of the elevation and the shade provided by the forest, hiking can be a pleasant experience even in the summer. Plant life is abundant in spring and summer, and autumn brings beautiful colors to the trees. During a July hike, my untrained eye spotted 10 different plant species in a 5-foot stretch of the Thomas Divide Trail. Butterflies are ubiquitous in the summer. Limited views of other mountains are probably available in winter.
Spindle Coral Fungus on Thomas RidgeYellow Fungus

Camping

Camping is only allowed at designated sites and shelters.

Frontcountry camping: Reservations can be made for frontcountry campsites online or by phone. Parking is available at these campsites, which have restrooms with cold running water and flush toilets. The nearest frontcountry campsite is Smokemont, which is near the Newton Bald trailhead on US 441. Smokemont is open from May 28 to December 31; fees are between $17 and $20 per night.

Backcountry camping: It is necessary to obtain a permit for camping in the backcountry. Camping is allowed for up to three consecutive nights at a particular site. The nearest site is Newton Bald (#52), which is about 0.4 miles west of the summit on the Newton Bald Trail.

External Links

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Hiking Trails of the Smokies is an excellent guidebook. National Geographic's map of Great Smoky Mountain National Park is also very helpful.