Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.73756°N / 125.49176°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 6503 ft / 1982 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Alexandra Peak North AspectAlexandra Peak north aspect

Alexandra Peak is another of the cadre of mountains on Vancouver Island, British Columbia whose name reflects the history of the island as a Crown Colony. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, even after the Island had become part of the new Province of BC, the predominantly British colonists retained unwavering ties and loyalties to the mother country, in particular to the Royal Family of the Saxe-Coburgs (later the Windsors). Thus we have Victoria Peak, King’s Peak, Queen’s Peak, Crown Mountain, Mt George V, Mt Albert Edward and, now, for the wife of King Edward VII (earlier Prince Albert Edward, eldest son of Queen Victoria) we have Alexandra Peak.

Alexandra Peak South Aspect
Alexandra Peak south aspect

Situated approximately 40 km due west of the east coast town of Courtenay, Alexandra sits in the crook of land where the Oyster River deviates from its north/south course south of the massif and turns west up to its headwaters in lovely Pearl Lake. The western slopes of the mountain drop precipitously into Buttle Lake nearly 1,700 metres below.

Alexander’s considerable height (ranked # 20 on Vancouver Island) provides the climber with 360° views across almost the whole of Strathcona Provincial Park and beyond, as well as views down the length of Buttle Lake and east to the Strait of Georgia and the mainland mountains of the Coast Range. From across the Oyster River Valley Albert Edward continues to smile upon Alexandra from a distance of ~ 8 km.

Alexandra Peak Original Survey Monument Original 1934 survey bolt
Alexandra Peak CGS Witness Monument Modern witness monument

On the summit is one of N.C. Stewart’s original 1934 survey bolts – underneath the hydrographic survey tripod - as well as a more modern, but rather battered witness mark to the south. There was no summit register, so we left one on behalf of the Alpine Club of Canada.

Those who have the misfortune not to live on Vancouver Island might be surprised to learn that the mountain is not in any park and enjoys no protected status whatsoever. The mountain sits entirely on private land owned by the Timberwest Corporation. Logging reaches far up all accessible sides of the massif and stops only when the limit of practicality is reached or at the border of Strathcona just west and south of Pearl Lake. As a result of this unfortunate state of affairs, access to Alexandra is often at issue. Refer to the “Getting There” and “Approach” sections below.

Alexandra Peak West Aspect
Alexandra Peak west aspect

In spite of these imprecations, Alexandra is a fine objective with wonderful character and astonishing views. Providing the access roads are open and navigable, it is also an increasingly popular spring skiing destination.

Mt McBride, Alexandra Peak and Mt Adrian
Alexandra Peak east aspect

Getting There

Vancouver Island can be reached directly by air from Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, Edmonton and recently from San Francisco to either Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox or Campbell River and by ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria on The Coho and on BC Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria or Nanaimo. Public transport on the Island is notoriously poor and anyone arriving by air would be advised to rent a car.

The approaches to Alexandra Peak require you to negotiate steep, narrow industrial roads that have or are being used to log the surrounding mountainsides. Whereas a normal 2WD sedan might reach the access point from the Oyster River to the southeast, the western approach requires a high clearance vehicle with 4WD and experience with difficult off-road driving.

Closed gates and/or limited hours of access are frequent occurrences. Before you go contact Timberwest in order to determine the best plan of attack and current conditions on the approach to Alexandra.

Approaches

Approach the mountain from the south on the Inland Island Highway 19.

Oyster River Approach

For the Oyster River route, turn of the highway at Cranberry Road approximately 23 km north of the well-signed junction for Strathcona Parkway & Mt Washington Alpine Resort.

Drive west on Cranberry Road to the staffed gatehouse at the beginning of Timberwest’s Oyster River Main private road. Assuming you have arranged access, drive Oyster Main approximately 28 km west and then south to the south end of Norm Lake. The road then turns west once more and in about 2 km reaches a parking area primarily used by people visiting Pearl Lake but from which the southeast ridge of Alexandra may be reached. Starting elevation is about 850 metres.

Buttle Lake Approach

Proceed north beyond Cranberry Road. Reach Campbell River at the end of the freeway section of Highway 19 and take highway 28 west towards Gold River. After 47 km you will enter Strathcona Park at Elk Portal. Exactly 1 km further on highway 28 makes a right turn over the bridge at Buttle Narrows. Ignore the turn and carry straight on down the paved Buttle Lake Parkway (also known as Westmin Mine Road) for ~ 10 km and find “Buttle Bluffs Road” on the left at N49 45.899 W125 35.048 – about 400 metres south of the Lupin Falls day use area.

Alexandra Peak West Approach Roads
West side approach roads

Keeping right and/or uphill at any junctions, drive the steep and narrow road about 7 km southeast and up to the junction of two high hanging valleys with logging roads everywhere. One branch of the valley turns southeast down towards Pearl Lake and the other northeast, up towards the high pass between Alexandra Peak and Mt Adrian from where Alexandra Creek drains the mountains east and down to the Oyster.

Alexandra Peak Approach RoadsWashout in upper valley I
Alexandra Peak Approach RoadsWashout in upper valley II
Alexandra Peak/Mt Adrian Approach RoadsRight hand valley roads
Alexandra Peak/Mt Adrian Approach RoadsLeft hand valley roads

Take the left hand fork labelled “Prk 300” and drive the remains of the road as high as you can towards Alexandra and Adrian. From the valley junction on some severe washouts are currently (July 2010) apparent. My 4Runner made it a further ~ 1.5km to 1,200 metres elevation before reaching the limit of its capabilities but we noted that others had made it further.

WARNING

“Buttle Bluffs Road” is not for the faint of heart. Particularly in the upper reaches it’s extremely steep, narrow due to rockfall and is beginning to slough off in places. Don’t try to drive it alone. A “spotter” is essential to guide you through some spots which were just wide enough to get my 4Runner through with the near side wheels on the last few inches of road overhanging the 1,000 metres drop to Buttle Lake below.

Summary of Summit Routes

SE Ridge


Attains the SE ridge via a flagged route from Pearl Lake parking. Follows the forested ridge up to the alpine where it joins the west ridge/bowl route on a shoulder just below the south satellite peak known as the “Thumb”.

West Ridge/Bowl


Reaches the west bowl under Alexander’s summit cliffs either directly off Prk 300 up the main gully draining the bowl (early season on snow) or via a steep bushwhack up to the west ridge and along the ridge until it peters out in the bowl.

Alexandra Peak West Bowl
Alexandra Peak west bowl

Once on the shoulder south of the summit block both routes traverse the east side of the Thumb to a notch and up to the top from there.

Red Tape/Safety Considerations

Although there are no fees to pay or forms to fill in, a pre-trip conversation with Timberwest regarding access might be in order.
As of July 2010, the current situation is as follows:

Oyster Main. Access open 6 am to 6 pm. No overnight camping, so you have to reckon on a fast moving daytrip. However, I have heard of parties making special arrangements to camp en route. So call TW and turn on the charm.

Buttle Lake. There is a gate but no gatekeeper. Day to day opening. I have heard of folk going this way and getting locked in. We were able to gain access, stay 2 nights and exit without problem. Two days later the gate was locked.

The summit of Alexandra looks right over to the towns along the east coast and subsequently we enjoyed full cellular service (Telus) once we attained the south shoulder.

On The Summit of Alexandra Peak
On the summit of Alexandra Peak

This is private land and there’s nothing in the way of an intentions system. Make sure, therefore, that you have left a detailed trip plan with someone responsible. The RCMP and the appropriate SAR agency will respond in an emergency but it is up to you to have the mechanism in place that will initiate the call-out process if it becomes necessary.

Camping

 If you approach via the Oyster the likelihood is that you will not be allowed to camp.

Alexandra Peak Camp
Alexandra Peak Camp

If you are successful in getting up Buttle Bluffs Road, there’s nothing and nobody in the way of restrictions. It’s all a bit ugly with the piles of logging slash everywhere but, if you search around, the chances are you’ll find a spot of old growth to camp in with some nice views. Try N49 44.092 W125 31.302 at the confluence of two streams with some big trees for shade.

Light no fires and, since giardia is well documented on the Island and since you’ve brought a vehicle this far, include a barrel of water in your supplies.

Weather

Nearest point forecasts:

East:


West:


Useful Links

For more information refer to Island Alpine – A Guide to The Mountains of Strathcona Park and Vancouver Island, Philip Stone, Wild Isle Publications, 2003, ISBN 0-9680766-5-3

For general backroad information and directions get hold of a copy of Backroad Mapbook. Volume III: Vancouver Island

Don't go on any Island trip without checking out Lindsay Elms excellent Beyond Nootka website. There's a new section in there on Alexandra Peak with lots of fascinating historical photographs.

Summit Panorama

Enlarge
Approximately 230° panorama from the summit of Alexandra Peak from the southeast to the north. Click at left for links to many of the peaks in this shot.

Page Visitor Statistics

free counters


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.