Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55132°N / 105.68462°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12716 ft / 3876 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 12,716 from near Comanche PeakPoint 12,716 from near Comanche Peak.

Point 12,716 is an anomaly. As of 2010, the elevation of this peak which resides on the northern border of Rocky Mountain National Park is mislabeled on all maps as 12,681. A benchmark at the summit of Point 12,716 lists the peak's elevation as 12,716. Gerry Roach verified the peak's elevation as 12,716.

Comanche Peak resides 0.47 miles to the southeast. Since Comanche Peak has an elevation of 12,710 feet, Point 12,716 becomes Comanche Peak's parent. Also, because Comanche Peak has a prominence of only 110 feet above the saddle between it and Point 12,716, Comanche Peak becomes an unranked peak (according to the 300 foot rule). Comanche Peak is actually a false summit of Point 12,716.

Point 12,716 is not listed on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List because the peak does not have a name. Point 12,716 is the 27th highest peak in RMNP according to Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List. That list shows Point 12,716's parent as Hagues Peak, 5.02 miles to the southeast. Point 12,716 has a prominence of 1,456 feet, making it RMNP's 6th most prominent peak, a fairly high distinction for an unnamed peak. The top six most prominent peaks in RMNP are Longs Peak (2,940), Mount Richthofen (2,680), Hagues Peak (2,420), East Twin Sisters Peak (2,288), Specimen Mountain (1,731), and Pt 12,716 (1,456).

Point 12,716 also holds the distinction of being the northernmost ranked peak in RMNP, residing on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park and Comanche Peak Wilderness.

It is easy to see why Comanche Peak got named and Point 12,716 was overlooked. Comanche Peak resides at the edge of a beautiful cirque holding Emmaline Lake and Cirque Lake. Comanche's signature three-peaked summit is a fairly recognizable feature. In comparison, Point 12,716 is merely a slightly higher lump about a half mile away. However, the summit of Point 12,716 still provides great views of the surrounding area. One is rewarded with a great view of the northern sides of Mummy Range peaks Rowe Mountain, Fairchild Mountain, and Ypsilon Mountain. Virtually every peak in the Never Summer Range is viewable from the summit. The southern portion of the Medicine Bow Mountains with prominent Clark Peak can also be seen.

Getting There

Perhaps the most enjoyable way to experience Point 12,716 is to start at the Emmaline Lake/Mummy Pass Trailhead.

Red Tape

Point 12,716 is on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park and Comanche Peak Wilderness. Follow all appropriate rules and regulations.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed in Rocky Mountain National Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Permits are required. Backcountry camping is also allowed in the Comanche Peak Wilderness.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mummy RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks