Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.84716°N / 116.92955°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11850 ft / 3612 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Mount Forbes

Mount Forbes is the highest peak in Banff National Park. Although there are several higher peaks in the Canadian Rockies (i.e. Mount Robson, Mount Alberta and Mount Assiniboine), Mount Forbes is the highest mountain whose summit lies completely within the boundary of Banff National Park. Mount Forbes was named by James Hector in 1859 after Edward Forbes, a professor of his at Edinburgh. A large expedition completed the first summit of Mount Forbes via the southwest ridge in 1902 and included such notable Canadian Rockies climbing pioneers as Collie, Outram, Woolley, Weed, Stutfield and Kaufmann (the real guide/climber of the trip).
Mount Forbes
Mount Forbes
Mount Forbes
Mount Forbes
Grizzly Bear Cub

There are three published routes for Mount Forbes which can all be reached by the main approach from the Icefields Parkway: The West Ridge which is the easiest route to the summit; the northwest face which is more conducive to the experienced modern day mountaineer and the Rosita Ridge which is a rock climb that by-passes most if not all of the glacier terrain.

Drive west of Lake Louise approximately 76km on the Icefields Parkway and park on the left at the Glacier Lake trailhead (approximately 150km south of Jasper). Hike in approximately 9km on the up and down well maintained trail to Glacier Lake crossing the Saskatchewan River via a pristine bridge. Unfortunately you gain little elevation by ascending from the river and then descending to the lake. There is a formal campground established at the south end of the lake. Continue along a decent single track trail on the west side of Glacier Lake. You will have beautiful reflections in the lake of Division Mountain and a hanging wall of ice off of the Lyell Icefield. On return, don’t forget to sit down at the south end of Glacier Lake, if in the evening, and enjoy the Loons. As you reach the other end of the lake (4kms+/-) the trail is no longer maintained (2010). The braided glacier melt river that feeds the lake creates a rough marsh like environment that would be difficult to maintain a trail for any period of time. At times you are walking through the marsh, where mosquitoes are abundant. At other times, you are better off fighting your way through downed trees up on the west bank. Either way, the trail finding and passage can be somewhat tedious to say the least. There are numerous grizzly bears who consider this their home range when berries are ripe. We saw tons of scat and fresh prints belonging to several different grizzlies as well as cub prints in August, 2010.

Once you get to where the drainage from the Mons Glacier intersects the drainage from the Lyell Icefield, you need to cross the river. In August, 2010, it was short of waste deep. If you cross even with the Mons Glacier drainage on the east side, you will find the most braided and shallow sections to cross. Once at the other end (where we found evidence of grizzly cubs), bushwhack up the bushy slopes to the right of the Mons Glacier drainage. Stay into the bush until a faint animal trail leads you onto a ridge. Follow this ridge south until you must descend to catch a shale ridden left shoulder high above the west side of the Mons Glacier drainage. Continue above tree line to alpine meadows.

Cross the meadows to an obvious break in the right side of the massive headwall below the Mons Glacier. This headwall is comprised of some of the more interesting rock formations you will find in the Canadian Rockies. Proceed up the break right to left following cairns that lead you through a few interesting fifth class steps, one of which is a perfect slide formed by waterfalls of years past. Continue to the top of the headwall and turn left following ledges above the large and loud glacier river until you can cross same via a huge gravel bed. Ascend pleasant rock steps up the other side keeping a due south heading. Be careful through this section in terms of black glacier ice (Mons Glacier) underneath this moraine ground. With your alpine axe, cross the moraine to the east wherever it gives you the best option. Some might opt for their crampons on this section. Get to the top of the moraine on the east side. Once you gain the east side of the moraine, Mount Forbes’ north face will start to come into view. Follow cairns up the Mount Forbes glacier drainage to the toe of the glacier below the north face of Mount Forbes. Continue up interesting huge slab thrusts to the toe of the glacier where you will have running water. I advise setting up a bivy below a significant wall to the south at the small glacier lake outlet that protects the bivy from the cold coming off of the glacier, but also has a small wall to the north toning down much of the noise caused by the outlet where there is of course easy access to running water.

Route Description(s)

The Routes are Listed East to West

  • Northwest Face- III/
  • This is an 8000'+ accumulated ascent trip.
    In 2010, the best glacier access was on the right side of the toe. Climb up rocky ledges on the right until you can traverse left for easy access to the glacier. Traverse the ice up and left to access the center line avoiding the larger crevasses on either side. Wind your way up the north glacier. There are a few snow bridges, but one significant one will appear about half way to the base of the North face. If this snow bridge is gone, you might be faced with climbing in and out of this wide crevasse that appears to run the width of the glacier, to gain further access. Once near the base of the north face in line with rock gargoyles on your left, start up the steeper 40-50 degree face in a southwesterly direction taking on the relatively narrow bergschrund about a quarter of the way up. From the bergschrund, head straight up, circumventing any rock to the right until you meet up with the west ridge. Stay left as much as the rock bands allow thus taking advantage of the steep snow and ice. Eventually you will hit the west ridge proper which typically would have enough snow, verglas and cornices covering loose shale to allow you to keep your crampons on for the scramble to the summit. There is one rappel along the ridge covering one short section of snow and ice. There was no summit register or cairn as of 2010. Beware of the summit cornice.
    Dow

  • West Ridge- III/

  • Rosita Ridge- III, 5.3/
  • When to Climb

    It is best to tackle Mount Forbes in what we consider earlier summer season for the Canadian Rockies. Its north glacier is heavily crevassed and as Bill Corbett’s guide book suggests: “the climbing crux is sometimes finding safe passage around some immense crevasses in the middle of the North Glacier, particularly in a dry year”. Early season generally equates to July. Even though I climbed the northwest face in early August, I too recommend an earlier climb period if for no other reason than to avoid one of the worst mosquito approaches in the Canadian Rockies as well as a ripe berry crop attracting a population of Grizzlies. In early July, you should expect to get solid overnight freezes countering the deep snow on the North Glacier.

    External Links

    100’s of Banff National Park multi-pitch rock climbs, ice climbs, alpine climbs and scrambles, just scroll down to routes

    Banff National Park, Parks Canada

    Best Eats in Canmore: Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company, all organic fare, not just a pizza place, but a true best of the best mountain local dining experience, great on site owner and customer service with a smile, not easily obtained in Canmore

    Best Eats in Banff: The Bison, all organic/free range fare, with a detailed description of their suppliers. Recently expanded (2010), I recommend sticking with the downstairs. Better menu, prices and social ambience. Maybe retire to the bar upstairs for sunset or late night. Bison chili is amazing!

    Best Coffee in Canmore: Beamers, the locals favorite, super wholesome lunch stuff, local guys, no attitude on service

    Best Climbers Hangout: Summit Café, most likely place to find me or my brethren shooting the bull about beta. Best breakfast place in town, good coffee as well, serve Mennonite meats from Valbella, which is the best place to buy free range products anywhere in the world, right here in Canmore.

    Climbing Gear: All way too expensive in the Bow Valley, but if you must, Mountain Magic in Banff is far superior to service and actual knowledge about climbing than the two in Canmore.



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.