Owls head of Keene

Owls head of Keene

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.24827°N / 73.8228°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2180 ft / 664 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the little mountain that you see descending from the cascade lakes on rt 73, before you get into Keene.
As far as mountians go this is a little one, but dont let the size fool you, this is one of the finest views you can get, for a half an hours worth of work. Near the end of the dirt lane you will see the trail head of this well worn unmarked trail (is marked at the trail head). The climb is steep but easy at the same time (at lease by Catskill standards). Several false peaks will give excellent views of pitch-off, porter and cascade, then the final assault on moderate scrambling near the edge, so go slow here,a fall means possible death, and a fall is easy. once on top you should wonder around to get all the views to be had before spending time on the main ledge.

from this ledge Hurricane, and Giant show along with lower wolf jaw, porter, cascade, pitch-off, jay, and some of the sentinels. Hurricane actually shows itself as big as giant, for the longest time i thought hurricane was giant, and giant was Dix. Take note of the drop off this ledge, sometimes you will encounter rock climbers coming up, its something like a 400 foot wall.
All in all i would give owl's head of keene a view rating of 90/ 100, a highly recommended climb, good hike for the little ones as well, long as you keep a close eye on them near the top.

take note that the scrambling can be dangerous on the way down, at the one rock take the left route going down, even though it looks harder just befor you get to the long flat area), otherwise you probably will face plant into a rock, as 10 hikers going down ahead of me all did (you will know it when you see it).
owls head 2
owls head 5
owls head 3
owls head 4

Getting There

Off of route 73 watch for the scarcely marked owls head lane, a dirt road.

roughly 1.5 miles from lower cascade lake or about 2 miles from Keene, and some 15 miles off of the northway

drive till you see a split on the road, take the left, the trail head is their. park on the side and DO NOT BLOCK THE ROAD OR ANY DRIVEWAYS PEOPLE LIVE HERE AND WILL GET TESTY IF YOU DO, AND YOU MAY FIND YOUR CAR TOWED.

Red Tape

Note the parking mention above, and hail to all state forest rules- as seen on the New York DEC Website
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

Camping

None needed, trip to short, and mostly over private land

External Links

Add External Links text here.