Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.79120°N / 105.4552°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12006 ft / 3659 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ungulate SkullUngulate Skull, north slopes


Zwischen is German for “Between,” and is quite the appropriate name for Mount Zwischen which rises south of Medano Pass and north of Mosca Pass. The peak also sits between the San Luis Valley to the west and the Wet Mountain Valley to the east. Ironically for being so “in between” everything, the peak is close to nothing. Just six feet above the 12,000 feet mark and nowhere near any trail, the summit of Mount Zwischen is not a very crowded place.

Even the fact that this is a “P2K” peak (mountain with 2,000+ feet of prominence) is not enough to encourage many to visit this remote summit. Convenient to nothing at all, Mount Zwischen is well-guarded by gullies choked by avalanche debris and long, undulating, curving ridgelines. There simply is no easy or efficient way to gain this summit. All routes to the top of this peak involve trail-less, convoluted navigation in remote land and pretty much guarantee a long, tiring day.

Mount Zwischen resides on the border of Great Sand Dunes National Preserve and the National Forest, forming the headwaters of Horse Canyon. The Blanca Group rises high and mighty to the south while the Crestones march northward in the distance. Nearby Mount Herard and neighbors dominate the view immediately to the north. Due west the Great Sandunes undulate on the floor of the San Luis Valley.
Crispie KrumholtzCrispie Krumholtz

The lower slopes are coated in thick stands of Aspen. Open grassy meadows on the northern ridge feature small button cacti. Treeline is exceptionally high in this area, with stunted Krumholtz rising nearly to the top of this peak 12,006 foot peak. The peak was affected by the 2010 Madano Fire, with many stands of trees on the mountain’s slopes charred to ash. Presently mud and ash flows in flash floods are a concern, while in a few years the chief risk will be from falling charred timber.

Rank: 1310th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 2,266 feet
USGS Quad: Medano Pass
Trails Illustrated Map: #138- Sangre De Cristo Mountains

Rank & prominence information source: Lists of John

Getting There

Back to LifeBack to Life
Mount Zwischen_Getting There Map


Medano Pass Primitive Road is the closest road of any type to Mount Zwischen. It is a rough 4x4 road suitable only for high clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles. Due to the wide variety of conditions on this road, most vehicles will find it necessary to travel the road from east to west.

This is why:The road includes soft sand for about 2 miles, 9 creek crossings that may be deep in late spring, and a rocky roadbed near the summit of the pass. If sand becomes soft during dry times, dropping tire air pressure to about 20 pounds may be necessary. Full tire pressure is required to drive over rocks higher on the pass, so if you do drop pressure, you will need to either 1) have your own air compressor to refill before going higher on the pass, or 2) drive the road from east to west, and reduce pressure after going over the pass but before driving through the soft sand. A free air compressor is available at the western entrance to the road in the national park.

View a map of Great Sand Dunes National Park here: NPS Link

Red Tape

Fire scar and sandunesFire scar and sandunes
Last few steps to the summitLast few steps to the summit
Mount Zwischen SummitMount Zwischen Summit
Mount Herard from ZwischenMount Herard from Zwischen


Because the peak lies on the border of the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, more regulations apply than if visiting the National Forest. Some regulations are somewhat more relaxed in the Preserve than in within the Park boundaries. A few key highlights:

• Fees: It is noteworthy that if approaching from the east on Medano Pass road, no fee is collected for entry.
• Camping: Permits are required for backcountry camping and it is preferred that you camp in designated or at least existing sites. Car camping is permitted only in designated sites (front or back country.) No camping in the krumholtz tree zone or higher.
• Regarding pets: Pets are permitted in the main national park day use areas and in the national preserve as long as they are kept on a leash less than 6 feet long. They are not permitted in the national park backcountry. Please keep the park clean by cleaning up after your pet.
• Note that the Park Service will close Medano Pass Road whenever conditions warrant doing so (fire danger, wet conditions, deep snow pack, etc.)
• Bear-proof storage of food, garbage, toiletries, fish guts, etc., is required.

Camping

Blanca Group to the southBlanca Group to the south
North ridge of Mount ZwischenNorth ridge of Mount Zwischen


Camping in the vicinity of Medano Pass Primitive Road is limited to established campsites. These campsites are rustic and dispersed, offering a surprising amount of solitude and privacy, and are available on a first come, first served basis. They also contain bear lockers for storage of food, garbage, toiletries and other smelly items that may be of interest to hungry bruins.

For more information about these campsites and for updates on road conditions and closures, visit this site: NPS Link

Weather & Seasons

Old snag on north ridgeOld snag on north ridge
Old root ballOld root ball


Due to seasonal closures of Madano Pass Road, plus long, trail-less approaches, Mount Zwischen would be best saved for mid-summer through early fall.

Zone Forecast for Gardner, CO

Remants of 2010 Medano FireRemants of 2010 Medano Fire
Approaching the final summit pushApproaching the final summit push


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks