Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.84265°N / 121.68695°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5247 ft / 1599 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huntoon Point from the false summit of Table Mountain


Huntoon Point located right of off Artist Point trailhead is a popular summertime destination amongst families and beginning hikers. Located right near one of the photographed mountains, Mt. Shuksan, Huntoon Point is a popular destination with many tourist who often head to the mountain in order to get stellar pictures of Mount Shuksan and Mount Baker. For the effort Huntoon Point gives massive rewards. Considering that the YDS Class 1 trail go a little over a mile roundtrip with an elevation gain of 300 feet, a person can often shoot over 50 photos of it's small tarns, melt snow and stellar views.

Huntoon Point tarn lake


Often this summit is combined with larger neighbor Table Mountain in summer. During these months both peaks can be summited together in a little less than two hours. The reward is though that there will be over 100 pictures taken between these two summit. I also would recommend this hike for children during the summer months as a first hike. Great views and little effort are the name of the game for this peak.

Mount Baker from Huntoon Point

Getting There

FROM BELLINGHAM: Take 542 (Mount Baker Hwy) all the way from Bellingham to Artist Point. The road is usual open all the way to Artist Point from July to October. You will pass through the towns of Deming and Galcier on the way there.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass required

Camping

Camping not advised for Huntoon Point. This is a tourist destination and can be overrun by hundreds of tourist on a clear day.

External Links

NwHikers.net, which often has trip reports on the area.