Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.31515°N / 106.43215°W
Additional Information County: Lake/Pitkin
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12893 ft / 3930 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Galena from Near Leadville
 
 
Galena From Turquoise Lake
 

 
Galena From Near Leadville
 
 
Galena From Turquoise Lake
 






Galena Mountain rises to the west of the town of Leadville in the northern parts of the Sawatch Mountains of central Colorado. It is well-visible from Turquoise Lake, a large water reservoir that sits at an elevation of 9869 ft.

The eastern slopes of Galena Mountain are steep and wall-like. To the southeast, the slopes drop down to a 11800 ft basin that houses St. Kevin Lake. The southern and western slopes of Galena Mountain are very gentle and can provide easy access to its summit.

A small portion of the 500 mile long Colorado Trail (that goes from Denver to Durango) climbs the lower parts of the southern slopes of Galena Mountain. The trail can be reached from a spot near Turquoise Lake. You can follow the trail through a dense forest to an elevation of 11300 ft where you will gain access to the beautiful grassy and gentle southern slopes of Galena.

From the summit and the southern slopes of Galena Mountain, you will have great views of Colorado’s first and second highest peaks; Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive. Turquoise Lake, Arkansas River Valley and many other peaks will also be in good view.
Galena From Turquoise Lake
Galena From Turquoise Lake

In the Forest on Colorado Trail:





In the Forest on Colorado Trail
 
In the Forest on Colorado Trail
 
In the Forest on Colorado Trail
 
In the Forest on Colorado Trail
 


Forest Undergrowth:
Mushroom
Mushroom on the cool shady forest floor

Meadows on Colorado Trail:




Meadows on Colorado Trail
 
Meadows on Colorado Trail
 
Meadows on Colorado Trail/View of Mt. Massive
 


Grassy Slopes:






Turquoise Lake
Turquoise Lake
Grassy Southern Slopes
 
Where You Leave Trail
 
Grassy Southern Slopes
 
Grassy Slopes
 
Turquoise Lake
Turquoise Lake


Boulder Fields:





Boulders
 
Boulder Field
 
Boulder Field
 


East Face of Galena:




East Face of Galena Mountain
 
East Face of Galena Mountain
 


St. Kevin Lake:
St. Kevin Lake
St Kevin Lake

Views From the Summit:






North/Homestake Peak
North/Homestake Peak
NW/Holy Cross
NW/Holy Cross
W/SW
W/SW
South/Elbert & Massive
South/Elbert & Massive
Turquoise Lake/SE
SE/Turquoise Lake
NE
NE


Getting There

From the intersection of US Route 24 and 6th Street in Leadville, turn west onto 6th Street and follow it to the end of it at the intersection with McWethy Dr. Turn right onto Mcwethy Dr. The street becomes “Turquoise Lake Road”. Drive over the dam on the southern end of the lake and continue to drive the road on the south side of the lake to reach a hairpin at the extreme west end of the lake. You will see a sign for Timberline Lake Trail or Colorado Trail. Park at the parking area. Distance from Leadville is probably 10 miles or less.

Red Tape

No fees but since the trail goes through the Holy Cross Wilderness, you must self register at the trailhead and carry a copy of it with you.

For other regulations see:

San Isabel National Forest.

Holy Cross Wilderness.

Weather

See weather for the nearby town of Leadville.

Leadville Forecast.

Map

Map
 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.