Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 5420 ft / 1652 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

With a name like Low Mountain, don't expect too much. Compared to all the peaks surrounding Low, it truly is the runt of the group. What Low has going for it is it's winter accessibility. Being right off the I-90 corridor, it's close for many and chances are somebody has stomped down the beginning of the route. Somehow Low Mountain makes it in at #72 on the Home Court List. You won't see it on any other lists that I am aware of.
Low Summit

Getting There

Take I-90 east from Seattle to the last exit (Denny Creek Exit) before Snoqualmie Pass. On the north side of the highway, take the Denny Creek Road between the divided highway as far as they have plowed it. Park there.
Low Mountain MapLow Mountain Area Map

Red Tape

Possible Snow Park Pass in Winter or summer parking permits, inquire with ranger. Location: 902 SE North Bend Way, Bldg 1 North Bend, WA 98045 Phone Number: (425) 888-1421 Driving Directions: Drive I-90 to Exit 32. Turn north at end of exit ramp. Turn left at "T" intersection on North Bend Way. In approximately one mile, the Ranger Station is on your right.

Camping

You can camp at the trailhead in the Denny Creek Campground. In winter, I've seen lots of Scout Troops hike in a short distance to snow camp.

Getting to the top

Winter Route Walk the snow covered road to the summer trailhead. This could be from 1 to 3 miles of hiking. It's likely the road will be well packed down from others. Hike the trail to 2600 feet, then snowshoe west toward Denny Lake. Pick a spot to start climbing up, either the first ridge or the far ridge closer to Denny Lake. There are some pretty open slopes to avoid between the two. At times, the route gets quite steep. You'll need your ice axe. Around 4200 feet the angle backs off but the climbing continues until the east trending ridge is reached. Follow the ridge to the north-south ridge proper. Follow it northwest, picking the best side for walking. One 30 meter section is quite narrow on top. 4.5 hours up. Summer Route The easiest route in summer would be to hike the Denny Creek Trail toward Melakwa Lake. At Hemlock Pass, turn south and climb the mostly forested north ridge of Low Mountain.
Working HardJust an idea...put the snowshoes on!
Low Mountain ViewView
Low Mountain SummitStefan Feller on top


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.