Diamond Head (Washington)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.31150°N / 120.57138°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5916 ft / 1803 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Diamond Head from just west of Blewett Pass
Winter hits Diamond Head


Diamond Head, not to be mistaken for the Diamond Head in Hawaii is a well known landmark to the eastern side of Blewett Pass. It's majestic western ledges and cliff tower over Blewett Pass and often it is noted as the trademark of the pass. It would be hard to believe looking at the western side that the peak is just a gential walkup if you your 4 wheel drive can make it up the road to the south of the true summit. It should be noted that I did this mountain as a loop hike from Tronsen Meadows which is not a walk up but involves follow cross crountry ski trails and at one point a steep bushwack up to a pass where it is an easy 500 feet rest of the way to the summit.

Diamond Head and Tronsen Knob
 Diamond Head from the east

The Enchantments
 Looking over Diamond Head


Equally impressive are the views from both the north and south edge of the Diamond Head plateau summit area. Though the true summit has no views. The north and south summit have amazing views of the Enchantments to the west and the more rounded Wenatchee Mountains to the east. In fall this is the ideal peak for fall colors because there are large amount of larch in the area that change in October. I will probably be back on this peak a couple of time to get some great fall pictures. The north summit is home to the more dramatic views Tronsen Head and Mount Lillian dominating the east, while the distant Teanaway and Enchantments dominate the west.

Enchantments
 Looking at the Enchantments


The best time to go to Diamond Head is in the fall for easiest access and best views. It should be noted that the weather here is significantly drier that it is in the western Cascades and even the Teanaway. This means that your chance of hitting rain are very low even when it is significantly raining in Seattle or Bellingham. In winter the area becomes a great area for cross country skiers. During that time SNO PARK Fees apply at the main trailhead at Blewett Pass and snowshoes must stay to the side of cross country ski trails.

The northern cliffs of Diamond Head
 Looking from the end point



Getting There

VIA THE MOST DIRECT WAY TO DIAMOND HEAD: Take Route 97 to Blewett Pass. Literally feet from the rise up Blewett Pass head on to Forest 9716 and head south for about 2 miles to forest road 35 on your left hand side. This will be past the scree and the cliffs of Diamond Head on your left hand side. Take 35 all the way to the intersection with 9712. Make a left onto 9712 there should be a side road and a parking area there. From there it is only a 300 foot elevation gain trek to the summit.

VIA THE WAY I WENT VIA TRONSEN MEADOWS: Take 97 to just east of Blewett Pass. Turn on Tronsen Meadows Road (dirt road; 4 wheel drive strongly preferred) and take Tronsen Meadows road roughly two miles to the obvious trailhead sign.

Red Tape

In summer there is no red tape. However in winter if you park in the main Blewett Pass parking lot you will have to pay SNO PARK Fees.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed here and there are plenty of spaces on the mountain to do it. However leave no trace.

Blewett Pass Links

Link to live camera of Blewett Pass

Information on winter trail in Blewett Pass. Though much of the information is for snowmobilers, there is plenty of information for hikers.

Snow information at Blewett Pass from the Snotel located at Blewett Pass. This will give you an idea about how much snow is at the pass and what to expect.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.