Windy Knob (Tronsen Knob)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.31263°N / 120.55522°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5920 ft / 1804 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Diamond Head and Tronsen Knob
 


Windy Knob, which is unofficially named is located between Tronsen Head and Diamond Head is not as popular as the other two summits but in many way is just as special as it other two neighbors. In many way Windy Knob is much more rugged than the other two peaks and take more than a walk up to visit the summit. But like Diamond Head and Tronsen Head, Windy Knob has stellar views. To the west lies the very rugged and majestic Enchantments while to the east lies eastern Cascades and its abundance of larches.

The true summit
 


One of the benefits of Windy Knob it has the closest to all of the peaks for a 360 views. The peak has a narrow and more isolated summit that is less blocked with trees creatign a more isolating and interesting view. This peak is a great destination for a good loop hike and should definitely be considered if you are doing neighboring Diamond Head or Tronsen Head.

Looking north
 


The most direct route to get to Tronsen Head is by take Trail 1819 up to the intersection with the Table Mountain Trail. Once up to this intersection look carefully a crosscountry ski trail that is actually well worn and actually is in good enough shape to be a faint trail. Take the cross country ski trail all the way to the base of Windy Knob. Head up the steep open slope (not even really class 2 in summer) to the summit of Windy Knob which will be marked with an obvious cairn.

Don heading down
 

Getting There

VIA THE MOST DIRECT WAY TO TRONSEN KNOB: Take Route 97 to Blewett Pass. Literally feet from the rise up Blewett Pass head on to Forest 9716 and head south for about 2 miles to forest road 35 on your left hand side. This will be past the scree and the cliffs of Diamond Head on your left hand side. Take 35 all the way to the intersection with 9712. Take it all the way passed Diamond Head and then past a second highpoint to Trail 1819 which is close to a spring.

VIA THE WAY I WENT VIA TRONSEN MEADOWS: Take 97 to just east of Blewett Pass. Turn on Tronsen Meadows Road (dirt road; 4 wheel drive strongly preferred) and take Tronsen Meadows road roughly two miles to the obvious trailhead sign.

Red Tape

In summer there is no red tape. However in winter if you park in the main Blewett Pass parking lot you will have to pay SNO PARK Fees.

Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed here and there are plenty of spaces on the mountain to do it. However leave no trace.

Blewett Pass Links

Link to live camera of Blewett Pass

Information on winter trail in Blewett Pass. Though much of the information is for snowmobilers, there is plenty of information for hikers.

Snow information at Blewett Pass from the Snotel located at Blewett Pass. This will give you an idea about how much snow is at the pass and what to expect.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.