Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 20.41537°S / 41.80292°W
Additional Information County: Alto Caparao
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 8720 ft / 2658 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Cristal on the left, Cruz do Negro on the right
Cristal Peak on the far left, Cruz do Negro on the close right.

 
More mountains of Caparao
Informational satelite image that includes the camping.
That is the easiest mountain in the Caparaó National Park range. From Terreirão campsite is about just 1 hour to reach its summit and the view is very much breathtaking of the other side os the valley, panoramic to other higher summits such as Pico da Bandeira, Pico do Calçado, Pico do Calçado Mirim and Pico do Cristal.

This Peak is listed as the 12th highest peak of Brazil. This is an easy mountain just like others inside the park, with a fast walkup and clear trails till the top. There aren’t any water point at the trail, just on Terreirão camp site - 2370m at the Minas Gerais trail and at Casa Queimada camp site - 2160m at Espirito Santo trail. The mountain can be reached by both sides of Caparaó National Park, being the easy and nearest by the Minas Gerais trail.

Getting There

 
HOW BAD ASS AM I? lol
Summit view to Terourinho and Tesouro Peaks.

Just like Pico do Calçado, Pico da Bandeira and others, there are two options to climb Cruz do Negro Peak. From west ( MG side ) or south ( Espirito Santo side ).
The west option:

How to Arrive to the west entrance:

From Belo Horizonte - The Caparaó National Park is 330 km from Belo Horizonte (MG). The access from Belo Horizonte (MG) to Alto Caparaó (MG) is done integrally in asphalted highways. Leave Belo Horizonte (MG), by the highway BR-262, towards Vitória (ES), until the city of Manhuaçu (MG) (280 km from Belo Horizonte). After the entrance of Manhuaçu (MG), in BR-262, take, to the right, the highway for Manhumirim (MG) and Presidente Soares (MG). In Presidente Soares (MG), take, to the left, the highway for Alto Caparaó (MG).

From Rio de Janeiro - The Caparão National Park is 430 km from Rio de Janeiro (RJ). The access from Rio de Janeiro (RJ) to Alto Caparaó (MG) is done integrally in asphalted highways. Leave Rio de Janeiro (RJ), by the highway BR-040, towards Belo Horizonte (MG), until the city of Três Rios (RJ) (123 km from Rio de Janeiro). Take, to the right, the highway BR-116, towards Salvador (BA), until the city of Fervedouro (MG). In Fervedouro (MG), take, to the right, the highway for Carangola (MG). In Carangola (MG), take, to the left, the highway for Presidente Soares (MG). In Presidente Soares (MG), take, to the right, the highway for Alto Caparaó (MG).

From São Paulo - The Caparaó National Park is 910 km from São Paulo (SP). The access from São Paulo (SP) to Alto Caparaó (MG) is done integrally in asphalted highways. Leave São Paulo (SP), by the highway BR-381, until Belo Horizonte (MG) (586 km from São Paulo). Take, to the right, the highway BR-262, towards Vitória (ES), until the city of Manhuaçu (MG) (280 km from Belo Horizonte). After the entrance of Manhuaçu (MG), in BR-262, take, to the right, the highway for Manhumirim (MG) and Presidente Soares (MG). In Presidente Soares (MG), take, to the left, the highway to Alto Caparaó (MG).

From Vitória - The Caparaó National Park is 255 km from Vitória (ES). The access from Vitória (ES) to Alto Caparaó (MG) is done integrally in asphalted highways. Leave Vitória (ES), byr the highway BR-262, towards Belo Horizonte (MG). 15 km after the boundary of Espírito Santo and of Minas Gerais states, in BR-262, take, to the left, the highway to Manhumirim (MG) and Presidente Soares (MG). In Presidente Soares (MG), take, to the left, the highway to Alto Caparaó (MG).

To the south entrance, you should to search for the town called Pedra Menina, on the south border of Minas gerais and Espirito Santo states.

From the entrance of Caparaó National Park to Tronqueira ( The first campsite and the last parking car,6 km of highway in renovation), you can do with your own car or a rented jeep (rented in the city).

Red Tape

The Caparaó National Park has hard rules.
Don't bring drinks; Inflamable fuel; Knives, Fire arms and if you do not have apropriates equipments to camp, the guards advise you of some danger.
There is no electric power nor snack bars inside of the park. Therefore, take the whole equipment that is needed, like flashlights, lanterns, stoves and food.
Only do the longest trails (mainly the one Bandeira) with an experienced guide. The trails are relatively easy, but for the unexperienced mountaineer it can become tricky, mainly after Terreirão ( 2400m ) and Casa Queimada ( 2160m ).
Taxes to visit and to climb Caparaó mountains
US$ 3 person per day;

There is a parking car at the trailheads: Tronqueira (West) and Macieira(South).


Thanks to my friend "Mountainfriend" here at SP for the almost ready text.

Camping

Arriving in Caparaó National Park, you can choose where to camp.

Minas Gerais side :

Tronqueira – 2000m

The first campsite by Minas Gerais side on the route to the summit is called Tronqueira, and is 8km from the park entrance – uphill all the way, a hike that takes about three hours, or two if you’re a seasoned walker. You’re rewarded by stunning views, as the road winds its way out of forest into the alpine zone, with panoramic views of the Caparaó valley below. The trail culminates at Tronqueira itself, where a viewing platform has been built to allow you to appreciate one of the finest views in the country, as the hills far below recede to the jagged horizon. Just before you get to Tronqueira, a fork to the left takes you to Cachoeira Bonita, where the José Pedro stream, which forms the state border between Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo, plunges eighty metres down a rockface into a thickly forested gorge; another viewing platform allows full appreciation of the Nature’s spectacle. The campsite area accepts around 50 tents.
 
Nasua Nasua
Wildlife at the park. Be careful, they are nasty little creatures lol!

Terreirão – 2370m

Halfway to the summit you come to Terreirão – 2400m, the second official campsite and a good spot for lunch. A path to the right leads to a point overlooking a valley dominated by two mountains, the rocky crags of Pico do Calçado – 2821m to the left, and Pico do Cristal – 2766m to the right, both only a few metres shorter than Pico da Bandeira, and with trails leading up them if you felt so inclined – though only to be attempted if you are camping at Terreirão, or you will find yourself still on the mountain at nightfall. Fill your water bottle at Terreirão, as there is no drinking water between here and the summit. This is the best campsite on the trail by this side, wild views, security, protected by the National Park guards. 4 hours from Pico do Calçado.

Espírito Santo side

Macieira campsite – 1800m

After 3km of Pedra Menina entrance, beside of São Domingos river, has a plain and big area for many tents, hot showers, sanitary and bathrooms. The acces is by asphalted road. From this camp as possible to see Pico do Calçado and another great mountains of Caparaó.

Casa Queimada – 2160m

8 km after Pedra Menina’s entrance. The access is by land road. A good choice to camp to climb Pico do Calçado by night. There are drinking water, bathrooms and hot shower with solar heating. 2 hours from Pico do Calçado.

If you are an expert mountaineer, you can bivouac at the top of the range, choosing a protected place to sleep. If the weather is rainy, stay on the oficial campsites.


Weather Forecast




Click at the image for weather forecast page.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links


My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Caparaó National ParkMountains & Rocks