Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.56009°N / 118.51435°W
Additional Information County: Tulare
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13140 ft / 4005 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lawson peak is the northern most peak of the Kaweah Peaks. (map) From the summit there are unhindered views to the east, north and west. To the south, the steep north face of Black Kaweah dominates the view. The peak is easily reached as a side trip from Nine Lakes Basin. Make the beautiful stroll through Nine Lake Bain to the highest of the lakes at 11,682ft, 3561m. From there the southwest slope is class 2. This side would also provide a nice ski trip. There are several small camp sites established at the summit. The ridge to Kaweah Queen is class 3.

Getting There

Shortest access to Nine Lakes Basin is from Mineral King via Glacier Pass, Black Rock Pass, and Little Five Lakes, estimate 2-3 days, about 18 miles. To avoid Glacier Pass which has a few exposed steps of class 3 one can also reach Black Rock Pass via Timber Gap and Pinto Lake. With that assume 3 days, about 22miles.
To Reach Nine Lakes Basin from Crescent Meadows via the High Sierra Trail estimate 3-4 days, about 22miles.
This can also be turned into a great loop hike as Mineral King – Black Rock Pass – Little Five Lakes - Nine Lakes Basin – Bearpaw Meadow – Timber Gap – Mineral King.

Besides the detailed info in Secor's The High Sierra, Peaks Passes & Trails I highly recommend the very inspirational book High Sierra by Phil Arnot.

Red Tape

All overnight backpacking and wilderness regulations of the Sequoia National Park apply. Check the Sequoia National Park website for details.

Camping

Good campsites are possible around the lowest lake in Nine Lakes Basin at about 10,460ft, 3190m. For established campsites with bear-boxes see the very informative Mt. Kaweah page.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Great Western DivideMountains & Rocks
 
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPMountains & Rocks
 
Kaweah PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks