Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.40666°S / 44.80965°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 8743 ft / 2665 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Summit shot on 3 Estados Peak
Summit shot!
 
Sat view of Serra Fina range
Sat view.

Pico dos 3 Estados is the 10th highest brazilian mountain, directly north of Cupim do Boi Peak at Serra Fina, Brazil. The brazilian authority responsible for the mountains registry, IBGE, documents its altitude as 2.665 meters high. It is part of the traverse and a famous brazilian mountain and often visited. The reason for its name (Pico dos 3 estados means 3 states peak) is this: The summit of the mountain is in the exact point of border for 3 brazilian states: Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and São Paulo. On its summit there's a iron 3 pointed tripod and for each point, it is shaped in the iron the name for the brazilian state.

That mountain is one of several summits of Serra Fina range, but at this place, most of the mountains not even have a name for it. I saw and photographed myself at least ten different summits worthy of an name. But the only ones with a name and the proper registry are:

Pedra da Mina - 2.798 m. (4th highest peak of Brazil)
Pico dos 3 Estados - 2.665 m.
Pico Cabeça de Touro - 2.649 m.
Morro do Tartarugão - 2.631 m.
Morro do Melano - 2.566 m. (it has a name but not recognized by IBGE!)
Pico Alto do Capim Amarelo - 2.500 m.





Getting There

 
Summit info view from Mina Rock
Panorama: east view from the summit of Pedra da Mina. 2.798 m.

There are 4 possible ways to get to that mountain, and for each one of them, first of all, you have to manage your way to a little city of Minas Gerais called Passa Quatro. From there, get yourself a private transport to one of the spots in red, depending of your choice:

First: SPOT: TOCA DO LOBO FARM: Starting the Serra Fina traverse from the west side. First summit: Alto do Campim Amarelo (1 night), after that Morro do Melano and Pedra da Mina summit (1 night), after that Pico dos 3 estados (1 night). Start from there.

Second: SPOT: SITIO DO PIERRE: Starting from the Serra Fina traverse from the northeast side route. First summit: Pico dos 3 estados (1 night) and go from there in the next morning. THAT'S THE BEST WAY TO THAT SUMMIT.

Third: SPOT: SERRA FINA FARM: A never used route for this mountain and the one i did: Starting from Serra Fina Farm, hike up to Pedra da Mina by the north side, 1 night. Go from there and be ready for a really tough task, it is 13,2km hike to go and come back. 10 to 12 hours, full day job.

Fourth: SPOT: SERRA FINA FARM: A never used route for this mountain and the one i wanna do it: Starting from Serra Fina Farm, hike up at the same trail as Pedra da Mina but after crossing the two rivers (about 1 hour) you'll see a tree marked with a cooking pan. That tree marks the divided two ways. One going right to Pedra da Mina, and one going left, A DIRECT ROUTE TO PICO DOS 3 ESTADOS.


Red Tape

Take your garbage with you!!!
Be careful, Serra Fina has a well known problem with water, find a gps archive to get the water spots, you don't wanna run out! During day time it is hot, but at the night, winter time, it can drop to -13°C. Cold!

Camping

 
Amazing sunrise over Itatiaia NP
 
 
The moon is going to sleep...
 

Camping is permited anywhere you want inside the Sierra. Please look for ready camping sites along the traditional trailhead.
Toca do Lobo Farm, Maracanã camp site, Alto do Capim Amarelo summit, valley after Morro do Melano (beside the red waterfall), Pedra da Mina summit, Pedra da Mina base, Ruah valley, small summit after Ruah valley, base of Cabeça de Touro Peak, 3 Estados Peak summit, and Sítio do Pierre. Plenty of places!

Weather Forecast



PS: The weather forecast on this link is not for this mountain but it will do just fine since the mountain from the forcast (Mina Rock) is close enough. The same mountain range.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links


My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Serra Fina rangeMountains & Rocks