Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.71302°N / 119.60545°W
Additional Information County: Mariposa
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7503 ft / 2287 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Yosemite Valley from Taft Point
Yosemite Valley from Taft Point
Taft Point is the popular landmark cliff overlook about midway along the south rim of Yosemite Valley across from El Capitan and the Three Brothers. An easy 1 mile walk trail leads out to this spectacular view from the Glacier Point Road. It is also a main stop off for hikers taking the Pohono Trail that runs along the south rim from Inspiration Point to Glacier Point. A main feature of this hike are the fissures. These are jagged rift like chasms that drop dead verticle for up to a thousand feet on the northeast side of Profile Cliff that leads to Taft Point. There is a small railing at the high point but the most extended point is down a little to the left.

The best time for this hike is around sunrise or sunset when the majestic features contained in the view reach their fullness. These include the Cathedral Spires and Rocks to the west, El Capitan, the Three Brothers, Yosemite Falls and Yosemite Point across the valley. Mt. Hoffman is also prominent high above the north rim off to the right.

Getting There

 
El Capitan from Taft Point
El Capitan  from Taft Point
From Yosemite Valley at the hairpin junction of Hwy 140 and Hwy. 41 (at Bridalveil Falls) go south on Hwy. 41 (Wowona Road) as it goes through the tunnel at Inspiration Point and winds up for 9 miles to the Glacier Point Road at a large open junction. This road is closed in winter. Turn left and go 13 miles to the road side parking for the trails to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome. The Taft Point Trail is to the left. At .5 mile you come to the junction with the Pohono Trail continuing to the right to Sentinel Dome. There are old metal signs marking the routes at this junction. Continue another .6 miles on to Taft Point.

From Wowona go north on Hwy. 41 12 miles and turn right on the Glacier Point Road.

Red Tape

 
Fissure cliff at Taft Point
Fissure cliff
The entrance fee for Yosemite National Park is 20$ per vehicle good for 7 days.

Camping

 
Cathedral Rocks and El Capitan from south rim
Cathedral Rocks and El Cap from off the Pohono Trail




There are no campgrounds in the Glacier Point area but there are plenty of places in Yosemite Valley. For camping info and reservations click here.

Current weather conditions in Yosemite

For current weather and 5 day forecast click here.

Etymology

Taft Point Yosemite 15', Yosemite Valley 1:24,000
Named by R.B. Marshall, USGS, for William Howard Taft (1857-1930), 27th president of the United States, 1909-1913, and chief justice of the Supreme Court, 1921-30. (Farquhar:Marshall.) Taft visited Yosemite National Park in the fall of 1909. (YNP)
Place Names of the Sierra Nevada - Peter Browning

Daredevil shenanigans at Taft Point

Dean Potter at it again. Check it out.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.