Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.32023°N / 120.51517°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6120 ft / 1865 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Disclaimer

As of late September 2012 there have been very large wildfires in the area that have highly impacted this area. It is yet to be seen how much impact the fires have had to this area. I will edit this page as more information comes in.

Overview

Mount Lillian


Mount Lillian located just east of Blewett Pass is not a well known peak but a very beautiful summit to visit. Because it is located near Blewett Pass which is in a large rainshadow, the weather on the mountain many times can be must better than the mountains west of it. There are exceptions in that in winter it can be far colder here than in the western Cascades and far hotter and dry here in summertime. But when an exceptional rainy day is hitting Seattle and the mountains west of the crest, this mountain could become the perfect place to avoid bad weather.

Ledge on Mount Lillian


As for the views, the absolute true summit is in the trees. However the northeastern side of the summit area has incredible views of Wenatchee and of Leavenworth while the western side has views of all of the Enchantments, the Teanaway and even Rainier. These views are especially enhanced in fall when the amazing larches come out in fall and light up this area. It should be noted that the larches are much larger here that in mkost parts of the state and that I would recommend to anyone to do this hike IN THE FALL!!!.

Ledge on Mount Lillian


For those who want good bouldering opportunities there is a large boulder on the western side of the summit area that is Class 3-4 that might be of interest. This rock is not the true summit but the rock can add some thrill to an otherwise relaxing or technical easy trip.

For most though to get to Mount Lillian requires just a YDS Class 1 walkup on the Lillian Trail and then a trip on a bootpath in order to get to the treed true summit and the large boulder on the western side. Total Miles and elevation gain are 500 from the trailhead and 1 mile one way. I would recommend though making the trip with neighboring Mount Lillian South, which is slightly higher and has great views as well. Getting to Mount Lillian South from Mount Lillian will require a 3/4 mile bushwhack through thick brush and trees but is well worth it once you get to that summit. Then to get of you can either head back down in the brush and decend to the west until you meet up with Forest Road 9172 or decend due south to 9172 and enjoy the open fields and the nice views as you are heading down to yet again Forest Road 9172.

Getting There

VIA THE MOUNT LILLIAN TRAILHEAD: Take 97 from either the north or south right to very crest of Blewett Pass. Right at the Blewett Pass sign either make a right of coming from the south (Cle Elum) pr a left if coming from the north (Leavenworth) onto Forest Service Road 9176 which with start out paved for the first hundred feet. The road will then turn into to a dirt road as it ascends the ridge behind Diamond Head. Take the road passed the scree section where great views of the Enchantments can be seen. Once over the crest make a left on 9712 and take it all the way passed the horsecamp and Haney Meadow. When you hit a major switchback with a trailhead on your left park there and the Mount Lillian trail will be right there.

Red Tape

In winter the road is closed to vehicles and requires a Sno-Park Pass. No red tape in summer and fall except that a four wheel and high clearance vehicle is very strongly recommended for this loop trip.

Camping

There are a number of premative campsites located on Forest Road 9172 including one very close to the trailhead.

Blewett Pass Links

Link to live camera of Blewett Pass

Information on winter trail in Blewett Pass. Though much of the information is for snowmobilers, there is plenty of information for hikers.

Snow information at Blewett Pass from the Snotel located at Blewett Pass. This will give you an idea about how much snow is at the pass and what to expect.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.