Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.37372°S / 44.62579°W
Additional Information County: Visconde de Mauá
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8599 ft / 2621 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Summit of Maromba Peak
Me at the summit of Maromba Peak. Too bad the weather wasn't good...
Maromba Peak belongs to Serra do Marimbondo inside Itatiaia National Park. Prohibition is a very common problem within the limits of this park. And just like several other summits inside the park, to reach this summit used to be forbidden, but not any more. You must ask for the permit before and you may not get it. I hate that and of course, I’ll never obey that kind of thing.
Anyway, it is a massive mountain for brazilian standards with 2.621 meters of altitude. Fantastic views to the west side of Itatiaia National Park, and with that view it is easy to identify several summits such as Urubu Peak, Pedra Assentada, Pico Prateleiras, Agulhas Negras, Asa de Hermes, Unnamed Peak, Pedra do Altar and Pedra do Sino. Some of the highest summits of Brazil.
The peak is located at the east border of the park, perfect to set up base camp for another distant and NEVER summited mountains of the park, also with access prohibited: Cara de Leão, Cabeça de Leoa, Cara de Gorila, Pico do Gigante and Pico do Ovo.











180° of summit view from Urubu Peak to several summits of Itatiaia National Park east border. You can see Maromba Peak and a lot more.

Getting There


Maromba Peak massif as seen from Marombinha peak summit


Just like another mountains of the park, you have so many options to reach that distant mountain…
But, depending on your choice, you have to get to different cities outside the limit of the park. If you choose to start the trekking by the east border, go to Visconde de Mauá, at the Escorrega Waterfall (Cachoeira do Escorrega in Portuguese), there is a road at the left side of the waterfall, half an hour walking up you’ll get to a small farm. Ask nicely to the owner to cross his property and show you the trailhead. It is easy and well marked, impossible to get lost. The altitude difference to get to the base of the mountain is around 1200 meters. It is good to establish a base camp after so many walking and do the summit next morning. You’ll be camped at around 2.280 meters. Water nearby (60 or 70 meters away, that’s it).

If you deicide to do it by the west side of the park, you have two choices: Start from the lower part of the park. Go for the city of Itatiaia, there is another entrance of the park there. Ask for the permit to do the Maromba traverse (travessia da marimba in Portuguese). Again, it’s possible to be denied. Just follow the “avenue trail” (sometimes the trail is so open that reaches 3 meters wide!) until you get to the base of the mountain. In that case, it’s going to take up to 2 days just to reach the base, and one more to summit the peak and go down at the East side, towards Cachoeira do Escorrega.

 
A 3 cm cricket
Wildlife at the area.
The other option to do it by the west side is to get to the well known high entrance of the park, ASK FOR THE PERMIT to do the traverse and take the trail at Rebouças Hut. It is possible to take the Rebouças – Maromba traverse and get to the base of the mountain just like the other option. But this one goes by the left side of Agulhas Negras and Pedra do Sino. The previous option goes by the right of those mountains.

Once you get to the base, chose your way to the summit, a big cairn will be waiting for you with an amazing landscape. If the weather is good, sometimes you can see up to 200 kms distance!

Red Tape

If you go by the high entrance of the park, as soon as you get there register yourself and pay a fee of R$ 12,00 (about USD 7.00) for the entrance.
Parking lot at the entrance;
Well marked trails (just to camp by Marombinha Peak and Maromba summit);

What’s forbidden:
At all costs, don't make fire or Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please!



BE CAREFUL ABOUT SNAKES AND POISONOUS SPIDERS (BROWN SPIDER)
A GPS is highly recommended for that part of the park, on a foggy day you will be lost in no time.

Camping

Anywhere you want, just don't camp at a too visible spot. Try not to get too much atention to yourself to avoid problems.

At the base of Maromba Peak the trail is so open that you can camp. Really close to tour objective and with water nearby. Best option.

Weather forecast



PS: The weather forecast on this link is not for this mountain but it will do just fine since the mountain from the forcast (Black Needles) is just a few kms away from it.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes - Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist: