Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.99014°N / 105.29469°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7300 ft / 2225 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The First Flatiron is another mega-classic above Boulder. It dominates the northern end of the Flatirons and is home to some of the longest routes in the area. The massive east face hosts many fine slab climbs while the other faces sweep up to offer many greater challenges. From the lofty summit of the First, a climber can peer north to Rocky Mountain and the Indian Peaks then turn around to see the bewildering array of Flatiron rock to the south.
Sunset on the FirstThe First is lucky enough to hold the sun's last rays slightly longer than any others.

Notable Routes

Here are a few of the most notable routes...

East Face Center 5.6S - This classic route is approx. 12 pitches in length making it one of the longest climbs above Boulder. The S rating comes from the first pitch and the climbing is very moderate above.

Baker's Way 5.4 - Another classic route that traverses across the east face on an easy ledge before joining the North Arete route. This is a true scramblers route to the summit and is a great place to learn to climb Flatiron rock.

North Arete 5.4 - This route ascends the north ridge of the First. The views to the northwest are spectacular and it is exciting to peer off the edge as you climb.


Getting There

The First is almost always accessed from Chautauqua Park. Numerous popular trails lead to the rock and the one to choose depends on the route you intend to climb. I will leave it to the route pages to describe the specific approach.
The ThirdClick to see larger version.

Red Tape

While free of usual seasonal closures, it is always a good idea to check before you go. Check HERE for any unusual closures.

Only use clean climbing techniques so leave that hammer at home. This may seem obvious but I have discovered new pitons on routes recently.

Camping

There is no camping allowed in the Flatirons.

External Links

Here is a great interactive MAP of the area.

Here is a LINK to NOAA's weather site.

The OSMP website provides a ton of good information and can be found HERE.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Boulder RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
5th Class Colorado PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
Classic Flatiron RoutesMountains & Rocks