Horse Lake Mountain/Twin Peaks

Horse Lake Mountain/Twin Peaks

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.41953°N / 120.44395°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4621 ft / 1408 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Horse Lake Mountain, or Twin Peaks? Don't worry about the nomenclature here, as it's not really near Horse Lake (nor is it visible from it) and actually has 3 summits, not just two. Of these (North, East, West) the West summit is the highest, but is only 4621 feet high. The east summit, which is most commonly "climbed" is 4500 ft, north summit is slightly less. These may be very modest elevations, but the "mountain" still has 1300 feet of prominence, a commanding view from the Columbia Basin to Glacier Peak, easy access, few people, and a spot at number 99 on the "Back Court 100" list. Hey, not bad for a foothills peak.

Pano from the east summmit.


Most popularly, people mountain bike up the road and down one of many fun, fast pieces of singletrack, loaded with jumps. Motorcycles also are thrown in to the mix (bleh!). To avoid the wheeled types altogether (unless you want to bike it - it's fun!) go in winter, park at end of pavement (see directions) and snowshoe or ski tour, snow conditions permiting. It's been done!

Getting There

Well, here we go.
Take Highway 2 or 97 to Wenatchee. At the north end of town, turn west onto Maiden Lane. Take that for a ways until it veers left and becomes Western Avenue. Drive that for a few miles until it veers right and become #2 Canyon Road. Drive that for 4.7 miles, and park at the second gate. (.7 miles after end of pavement.)

View west
View west; Stuart Range obscured. :(


Red Tape

Nope, none, zilch, nada!

Camping

If you're so inclined to drive a long ways to do this, you can stay at one of the many hotels in Wenatchee.

Route

The only sensible way up the mountain is via one of many trails. Unless you're a mountain biker (which Twin Peaks is popular for), the most efficient way up is via the main road. From end of pavement, it's 7 miles roundtrip. That's the only way I'd recommend hiking.
Horse Lake Mtn Road
Road

The only difference is: the road will take to the east summit, which is not the highest. To get to the main, highest summit, hike roughly 3.2 miles until you come to a point where the road makes a 'Y', and a steep trail is seen in front of you. Take the steep, loose, piece of $#!^ trail, and you'll go right on up. Alledgedly, there's a benchmark here. I've spent forever looking for it, and can't find it. If you do, please tell me, I want to see it!!
Mission Ridge
More views from main road.

External Links

Alright!
Page I made for mountain biking this peak.

Topo map, kudos to Wenatchee Outdoors.

October 2010 trip report.

Above the clouds
Above the clouds.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.