Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.56889°N / 73.70779°W
Additional Information County: Warren
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1956 ft / 596 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cat Mountain is a mountain in the southern Adirondack Park on the Western side of Lake George. The mountain is located within the Cat & Thomas Mountain Preserve owned by the Lake George Land Conservancy a partner to The Nature Conservancy. The summit has sweeping views of Lake George.
Cat Mountain Panoramic

Getting There

The Trailhead for the Cat & Thomas Mountain Preserve can be reached by taking I-87 to Exit 24, take Rt 11 East towards Bolton Landing, in approximately 2 miles turn right onto Valley Woods Rd, the preserve parking is immediately on the right. (Caution: Make sure to park in the preserve parking only, do not block nearby private drive.)

There are two options for reaching Cat Mtn.

The first option is to proceed down the orange marked main trail (Logging Rd) and proceed for .75 miles to a junction with the Thomas Mtn Trail. from here stay straight on the yellow marked trail for another 2.5 miles to the summit of Cat Mtn. (Approx. 6.5 mile RT, 700-800ft elev. gain)

The second option is to take the main trail for .75 miles to the Thomas Mtn trail. Turn right and follow the orange marked trail up to a (Private-Conservancy) cabin near the summit of Thomas Mtn which sits on a ledge with nice views of Lake George. Continue along on the blue trail and follow the ridgeline across to the summit of Cat Mtn. Take either trail back to the trailhead. (Approx. 7 mile loop, 800-1000ft elev. gain)

Red Tape

Nature Preserve guidelines include:
Open dawn to dusk year-round
Leashed dogs are permitted
Stay on marked trails only
No camping or fires
No bicycles or motorized vehicles


External Links

Lake George Land Conservancy - Cat & Thomas Mtn Preserve
Cat Mountain - Peakbagger