Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.26429°N / 73.70828°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Additional Information Elevation: 3182 ft / 970 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Weston Mountain is a peak located in New York's Adirondack Mountains. The summit is on the Southeast end of Nun-Da-Ga-O Ridge also known as the Soda Range. The mountain, located in the Hurricane Mountain Primitive Area, boasts an expansive view of Hurricane Mtn, Lost Pond and many of the Adirondack High Peaks.

Getting There

The main trailhead for this area is at the end of O'Toole Rd/Ln in Keene, NY. From Rt. 73 in the village of Keene, take Hurricane Rd (Cty Rte 13) to a left on O'Toole Rd/Ln and follow to the parking area (known as Crow Clearing) at the end of the Rd.

This hike can be approached in 3 ways, it can be done as a loop from the Crow Clearing trailhead in either direction, or as an out and back.

The most direct route to the summit is as follows:

From the trailhead take the trail towards Lost Pond/Hurricane Mtn. The trail starts very gently and crosses a couple brooks. In 1.1 miles there is lean-to and a junction with the Hurricane Mtn trail. Continue straight for another .7 miles to the shore of Lost Pond. Continue around the pond another .3 miles (sections of the trail can be quite muddy here) to the Biesemeyer Lean-To at the far end of the pond. From here up to the summit is a short steep hike, but it's officially an unmaintained trail (although it's still has old markers and is relatively easy to follow.) Enjoy the view from the summit ledge and return the way you came or complete the loop across the Nun-Da-Ga-O Ridge (Caution: Officially unmaintained trail.) (Approx. 4.8 Miles RT 1000-1100ft elev. gain or 6.5 miles as a loop)

Red Tape

As always sign in at the trailhead.
If planning on hiking the entire Nun-Da-Ga-O Ridge, a map and compass are recommended as the trail is officially unmaintained.

Camping

There are Lean-to's located 1.1 miles in (Gulf Brook) and about 2 miles in (Biesemeyer) at Lost Pond.
Otherwise, Normal DEC backcountry camping regulations apply and can be found HERE

External Links

Weston Mtn - Peakbagger