Monte Muggio

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04965°N / 9.35692°E
Additional Information County: Lombardia
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5902 ft / 1799 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

when you go and hike in the Lombardic Prealps you often happen that, arriving to a summit, you have a portion (maybe the most interesting for you) of panorama hidden behind a minor summit you had never thought existing ... so you HAVE to climb that further summit !!!
That's what I thought on the summit of Legnoncino.
Once at home I gave a glance to a map and found the name of the intruder that was hiding the N side of Grignone : Monte Muggio.
Its long sweet ridge E-W is the S border of the Val Varrone : a wild wild valley where only 1 very narrow "adventure" road tries to join the main hamlet of the valley (Premana) with the E bank of Como lake and the "civilization"
(Premana is normally joined by another road, passing, from Casargo, through the Piazzo pass)

Getting some info here and there (internet) I found that on the S side of this mountain there's a new small ski resort (Alpe Giumello) where you can arrive driving along a panoramic road ... and that this is one of the best sites in the area for paragliding ...

Getting There



From Lecco along the Valsassina road or from Bellano along the other branch of tha Valsassina road you have to arrive in Taceno.

Once there follow for Casargo and, just at the beginning of the inhabited zone, a narrow road (270° on the left) points to Indovero - you can already see the signs for Alpe Giumello.

Follow the road till its end on a very wide car parking east of a small hamlet.
(Refuges and Restaurants)

Routes

At the Eastern limit of the car parking a dirt road, passing near some new houses, leads to an old very small hovel.
Cross the meadows to the left.

Now you have two different ways to get the summit :
Monte Muggio


normal one : to the left, straight along the slopes of the wide ridge

good in winter using snowshoes or skis

Monte Muggio
Monte Muggio
Monte Muggio
fine one : look for a sign "sentiero alto" and start walking on it ... a long walk in a wonderful wood (in some moments you can believe you've seen a smurf) along a mule track, after some hundreds of meters the muletrack becomes a path, then a narrow path, then a track between trees ...
Monte Muggio N ridge
Monte Muggio N ridge
Monte Muggio
at a certain point you can see the W side of the Val Varrone, you are on the N ridge of Monte Muggio. Follow this ridge staying always on the edge and with an amusing walkup you arrive to the last slope leading to the summit.

Enjoy the pano !

Accomodations

Rifugio Shambala
Capanna Vittoria


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpi OrobieMountains & Rocks