Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.69260°N / 110.8677°W
Additional Information County: Santa Cruz
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7460 ft / 2274 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Wrightson from SummitMount Wrightson from Jack Mountain summit


Location, location, location.

Jack Mountain is a humble little peak, and with only 200 feet of vertical prominence, not even ranked in the state of Arizona. What Jack Mountain lacks in stature, however, it makes up for in the views from its summit. Snuggled in a saddle between Mount Wrightson and Mount Hopkins, this demure mountain serves up some big, interesting scenery. The peak offers neat views of Josephine Peak, as well, south along the ridgeline from Mount Wrightson.

The summit is reached by a faint social path from the west and features a small cairn and a simple summit jar. The top is covered in scrub oak, shrubs and grasses which block some of the wind, but still allow for knock-out views of surrounding peaks. This is a summit for lounging, having lunch, chatting and enjoying the views.

Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 200 feet
USGS Quad: Mount Wrightson

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

Sonoran mountain king snakeSonoran mountain king snake
Summit LizardSummit lizard


Trails converge from nearly every conceivable direction to Josephine Saddle, just ½ mile east of the summit of Jack Mountain. Most visitors to Jack Mountain will access the peak from I-19 on the west side of the Santa Rita Mountains, exiting at Continental and traveling toward Madera Canyon. The peak is roughly 50 miles south of Tucson, Arizona.

See detailed driving instructions in the Carrie Nation - Madera Loop Route!

Red Tape

East from the summitEast from the summit
Mount HopkinsMount Hopkins



• There is a $5 per vehicle fee to access the Coronado National Forest Recreation Area.
• Jack Mountain resides within the Mount Wrightson Wilderness. Standard wilderness restrictions apply regarding motorized vehicles (no mountain bikes), hiking party size and pet leashes.

Camping

On the summit of Jack MountainOn the summit of Jack Mountain
Mount Hopkins in Fall ColorsJack Mount Hopkins in Fall Colors


The Bogs Spring Campground, operated by Coronado National Forest, is the nearest camping on the west-side of the peak.

• 13 campsites with tables and fire grills
• Drinking water available
• Toilets
• Paved access road
• Elevation: 5,200 feet
• Season: Year-round

Weather & Seasons



Click for Madera Canyon, Arizona ForecastThis is a dynamite peak to visit in the fall, when the weather is cooler and the leaves are changing. In the summer, the lower reaches of any route to this peak could be brutally hot in the scorching southern Arizona sun. These mountains see cold mountain weather and snowstorms in winter and early spring, and heavy snow could mean impassible trails or even a locked road gate.
Click for Madera Canyon, Arizona Forecast





Jack Mountain SummitJack Mountain Summit


Los ManzanitasLos Manzanitas


Mount WrightsonMount Wrightson







Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.