Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.80260°N / 116.969°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6056 ft / 1846 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Daylight Castle from Daylight PeakDaylight Castle from Daylight Peak, Wahguyhe Peak far back right.
"Daylight Castle", unnamed on topo, is a classic desert peak just north of Daylight Pass in the Grapevine Mountains of Death Valley National Park. This is an enjoyable day hike with 2 straightforward approaches. The southeast slope is class 2 from Daylight Pass and the north ridge looks to be class 2-3 from the Titus Canyon Road. The views of southern Death Valley and the Panamint Range are outstanding. To the east is an unobstructed expanse of Nevada Great Basin Ranges which includes the Bullfrog Hills, the Bare Mountains and beyond. Neighboring Corkscrew Peak rises across a valley 3 miles to the southwest.

Getting There

Daylight Castle southwest viewDaylight Castle southwest view. Death Valley Buttes the fluted ridge below right center with the dark upper section
Daylight Pass: From Hells Gate, the junction of the Beatty Cutoff and Hwy. 374 in Death Valley National Park go 6.5 miles northeast on 374 to Daylight Pass, 4,316'. Daylight Castle is visible a few miles to the northwest. Hike northwest up a wash on a use trail 1.5 miles to a small pass. Continue across a small valley and up the steep southeast slope to the summit.
Titus Canyon Road: From Dayight Pass drive 7 miles northeast on Hwy. 374 to the Titus Canyon Road on the left. Take the one way Titus Canyon Road 8.5 miles (2WD high clearance recomended) back toward the Grapevine Mountains and park where you can along the road at 4,720'. Hike southeast through a gap 1.2 miles to Willow Spring (marked on topo). Take the north ridge to the summit.
Note: After the hike the road continues over Red Pass, down into Titus Canyon and on out to Death Valley.
The Titus Canyon Road is subject to closures due to washouts. To check Death Valley road conditions click here.

Red Tape

Daylight Castle east viewEast to the Bullfrog Hills from Daylight Castle
No Permits are required for this hike.
There is a 20 dollar fee per vehicle good for 7 days to enter Death Valley National Park based on the honor system.

Camping

South Death Valley from Daylight CastleSouthern Death Valley from Daylight Castle
For Camping info and campgrounds in Death Valley National Park click here.

Death Valley current weather and 5 day forecast

For current weather and 5 day forecast click here.