Golden Bear Peak, Pt. 13,010

Golden Bear Peak, Pt. 13,010

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.69390°N / 105.92004°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13010 ft / 3965 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Golden Bear Peak (PT 13,010) is a low Continental Divide 13er located north of the Loveland Ski Area and South of the more explored Hagar Mountain. Mount Trelease can easily be accessed by traveling east of the summit and Coon Hill can easily be accessed by traveling west. Golden Bear is a ranked summit at number 634 of 637 13ers and ranked # 59 of 59 13ers in the Front Range.

Provided by Summitpost User leesmith3: One very interesting note about this Peak is that it is probably the only summit where you can see both ends of the Eisenhower Tunnel. The surrounding Continental Divide peaks nearby only allow you to see one end of the tunnel, not both.

Getting There

Loveland Ski Area: From Denver, Take I-70 West approximately 53 miles to the Loveland Ski Area. Follow the signs to the main parking area at the base of Loveland Pass. Golden Bear Peak can also be accessed from the Dry Gulch Trailhead, which is located on the N. side of I-70, also at the Loveland Ski Area exit.

Red Tape

I have received conflicting information from the ski area as to whether or not it is permissible to park in their lot and skin up the ski area to the outer boundaries of the resort during ski season. An E-mail that I received stated that it is not permissible; however a conversation with a Loveland employee stated that is permitted. Please verify for yourself if you plan to ascend Golden Bear from the ski area. Loveland Ski Area can be reached at 303-569-3203.

More information courtesy of SP user Bill Reed:

"Uphill Access" is a public right but the pathway of access is designated by the ski area, specifically, the "Ski Patrol". The path can be moved due to area maintenance and the ranger I spoke with suggested checking with the patrol to locate the current access path.
The parking lot is open to the public with no restrictions.
For further questions-District office phone # is 303-567-3000

and relevant information added by Steven Cross:

Loveland Pass is covered with signs along the road that say, "No Parking". When the ski area parking is closed the closest one could park is just off the ramp coming off of I-70. From here you can walk along the road to the ski area.

Camping

There are no established campgrounds in the immediate area; however opportunities for dispersed camping exist in the Dry Gulch, Herman Gulch and Watrous Gulch areas. Please abide by US Forest Service Rules and Regulations while camping in the area.

Arapahoe National Forest Rules & Regulations

External Links

Loveland Pass Weather Forecast

Colorado Avalanche Information Center

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.