Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.97900°N / 107.1603°W
Additional Information County: Socorro
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10510 ft / 3203 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Timber Peak is a seldom climbed mountain not far from the prominent South Baldy. With a solid trail along a mostly bare ridge it makes for a nice climb with great views of the Magdalena Mountains and the surrounding area.

Timber Peak RidgeTimber Peaks upper ridge

New Mexico Rank: 138
Prominence: 650'
Quadrangle: South Baldy

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From Albuquerque take I-25 South to the town of Socorro. Take Exit 150 onto California Street and drive through the town. Follow the signs for Rt 60 which will require a right turn. Once on Rt 60 follow it west out of town (be aware the speed limit is very slow for a few miles out of town). Approximately 16 miles west of Socorro you will see a sign and a turn-off to your left for Water Canyon Campground. It is 4 - 5 miles from Rt 60 to the campground. Continue through the campground on Water Canyon Rd for about 5 miles where there will be a small parking area (1-2 cars) with a sign for Timber Peak on the left.

Route Overview

There are numerous possiblities for climbing Timber Peak but the Northwest Ridge route is the shortest, most direct, and likely the only route that can reasonably be done in one day.

Northwest Ridge: From the parking area gain the ridge by going up the short but steep slope on a solid trail. Once on the ridge the trail will either stay directly on the ridge or just to the right of it. You will be able to see the forrested summit during most of the hike. About 1/4 mile from the summit leave the trail at a large carin and follow a very faint trail up a steeper slope. Once you reach a false summit and drop down into a lower area there will be some thicker brush and a rocky section ahead. Angle to the climber's left to follow a trail through the rocky section to the top.

Views from the summit:
LadronesLooking N onto the Ladrones
Looking NELooking NE from the summit


Red Tape

None, although be aware of the fire danger in the area and be careful of traffic heading up to the Magdalena Ridge Observatory and the Langmuir Laboratory for Atomospheric Research.

Camping

There are plenty of camping opportunties at the Water Canyon Campground a few miles below the Timber Peak Trailhead

External Links

Local weather: Timber Peak
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Magdalena MountainsMountains & Rocks